You Have to Try Everything Once... Don't You?

Should I Do It?

• Yes

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
usps_road-rash.jpg

Dusty, yep I can see just where that lycra protected^_^. Sorry mate but your argument is flawed by many pictures on the net.

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
My legs are... itchy! :heat:

I think I need to give them a closer shave tonight, and with time hopefully they will become less sensitive.

screenman

Legendary Member
Of course it protected it. And then it tore. I don't think anyone said that lycra would do the same job as a full leather suit, ffs. Or are you suggesting we all shave our arses now as well?

You are kidding now^_^

I would say if you are hairy in that area then yes, why not.

As for not needing to shave if you are not racing, where did that one come from, more time spent on the bike training than racing that is the case for most people. Most of my off's in the last 44 years have been when I am not racing.

As for not needing to shave if you are not racing, where did that one come from, more time spent on the bike training than racing that is the case for most people. Most of my off's in the last 44 years have been when I am not racing.

Sounds like you crash a lot - I hope you don't ride in my area. I've had two crashes on the road since 1990 - one in a road race in 1995 - and another a couple of years ago, when I slid off on some mud while out on a training ride.

I know loads of people who shave but don't race. I also know a few people who race but don't shave. The general principle is that you are more likely to be brought down by others, like you would in a race. You are obviously the exception to that rule, as you seem capable of falling off anytime, anywhere.

screenman

Legendary Member
I do not crash a lot, not sure where you get that from. So maybe you do not ride the roads I do, in the groups I do, in the weather I do or the distances. I agree you are more likely to be bought down by others, even more so when out on a casual or with inexperienced group riders, racing seems to focus the concentration more.

You will also find that a lot of injuries sustained by the pro's are whilst they are training.

Any ways we are getting away from the point, which is to shave or not. Bit like dress for the accident not the trip as they say in the motorbike world. The main advantage in being clean shaven is when or if an accident occurs cleaning of the wound will be easier and less painful.

Now you may be an acrobat like Dusty who crashed at 37mph and did not slide or you might be like most who come off slowly and slide a bit.

Now you may be an acrobat like Dusty who crashed at 37mph and did not slide or you might be like most who come off slowly and slide a bit.

I don't get your obsession with 'sliding' - 99% of the time you will not slide on just one part of your body. Leaving aside the issue of crashing on motorcycles (which is hardly relevant), the only exceptions to this are probably crashing on mountain descents in the wet, where sliding seems to be the norm, for obvious reasons.

If any part of your body hits the deck at speed, it will heat up very quickly. If it is not covered, this will result in road rash. If it is covered, then the skin will be partly protected for as long as the material covering it can hold out. In lycra's case, this will not be long - so you will probably still get road rash (like the pic you posted earlier) but it will not be as bad as it would have been, had the area not been protected. We haven't even touched on the weight issue, which will also obviously influence friction and therefore injury level.

You keep using the word 'acrobatic' in relation to my crash - you weren't there, so I don't know why you think it was 'acrobatic' - I don't know if you've ever gone down in a bunch sprint, but it wasn't pleasant. It definitely wasn't acrobatic either.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
My legs are... itchy! :heat:

I think I need to give them a closer shave tonight, and with time hopefully they will become less sensitive.
Not surprised, be careful not to get in growing hairs...moisturise ;)

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
Not surprised, be careful not to get in growing hairs...moisturise ;)

Yep, after looking around online I think I will let the hair grow a bit again and then either do them again in a couple of weeks as to prevent further irritation or decide that it just isn't for me.
Saying that, I've noticed my trousers gripping to my legs more, which although it was one of the things I was hoping for (cycling shorts gripping instead of sliding up the leg), it isn't particularly pleasant when your skin is itchy and painful.

ayceejay

Guru
No honestly I think the problem may be in the method especially if the end result is "itchy and painful". Are you over thinking this leg shaving Octet because I don't get it. You cover your leg in some kind of lubricant (shaving soap) and use a fresh razor that you rinse often and then wash and add a moisturizer - right? You sound like a bit of a wimp for someone who admires Runalph Fiennes.

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
No honestly I think the problem may be in the method especially if the end result is "itchy and painful". Are you over thinking this leg shaving Octet because I don't get it. You cover your leg in some kind of lubricant (shaving soap) and use a fresh razor that you rinse often and then wash and add a moisturizer - right? You sound like a bit of a wimp for someone who admires Runalph Fiennes.

It has to be the most itchy thing I've ever experienced! :eek:
Anyway, would your suggestion be to skip the shaving gel and jump straight on a blunt knife?

Have you actually done this yet, or not?

If not - you can remove most of the hair with a beard trimmer or similar, then finish off with a razor and foam. If you try and attack the long hair with a razor, it will just clog. As ACJ says, it sounds like you are over-thinking it just a bit...

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
Have you actually done this yet, or not?

If not - you can remove most of the hair with a beard trimmer or similar, then finish off with a razor and foam. As ACJ says, it sounds like you are over-thinking it just a bit...

Yes, whilst you were bickering with screenman I posted a comment about it :thumbsup:

(Post 55 is where I first mention it)

Top Bottom