You Have to Try Everything Once... Don't You?

Should I Do It?

• Yes

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
The worst road burns are usually on the lower leg, because that is the part not usually covered, and usually the part to contact the ground first.

Oh right, I've always found it to be the other way around? If I crash I end up landing on my hip which takes the brunt of the impact. Obviously this is crash dependant, but that is what I've found.

Unless you ride naked, then your hips are usually covered anyway. And if they are covered, then the friction damage to your hip area will be minimal as the lycra (or whatever you are wearing) will provide a first line of defence. The majority of road burns are typically outside lower leg for two reasons 1) this is the area which usually contacts the road first and 2) it is rarely covered during racing.

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
Unless you ride naked, then your hips are usually covered anyway. And if they are covered, then the friction damage to your hip area will be minimal as the lycra (or whatever you are wearing) will provide a first line of defence. The majority of road burns are typically outside lower leg for two reasons 1) this is the area which usually contacts the road first and 2) it is rarely covered during racing.

I'm only pointing out what I've found.

Lycra isn't exactly a defensive material, and even one time when I went down in work trousers I ended up with grazes.

Anything is a defensive material if it provides a barrier between your skin and the road for a split second - that's all I'm saying. It only takes a split second to get a friction burn, so anything that comes between your skin and the road surface is going to provide a lot of protection in that split second.

I think what I'm really trying to point out is that you don't need to shave your hips...

OP
OP
Octet

Octet

Veteran
Anything is a defensive material if it provides a barrier between your skin and the road for a split second - that's all I'm saying. It only takes a split second to get a friction burn, so anything that comes between your skin and the road surface is going to provide a lot of protection in that split second.

I think what I'm really trying to point out is that you don't need to shave your hips...

But they are soooo smooth! :wub:

FFS....

Clean shaven legs feel awesome when you get into bed.... this is reason enough!

weird - that's actually my least favourite bit about the whole issue.. ;)

numbnuts

Legendary Member
FFS.... arguing about leg shaving.

Clean shaven legs feel awesome when you get into bed.... this is reason enough!

Don't be a wookie!
When I first shaved my legs they felt wet all the time it was really weird sensation, but I soon got use to it and now I can't bear hairy legs. Later I started to shave my chest and under arms and also my back (electric razor taped to a piece of wood) now I just like the smooth feeling of my body.

Top Bottom