You know who you are!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
It actually worries me that there are some cyclists (allegedly) on the roads who seem to think it is ok to hold up faster moving traffic when it can be easily avoided.

No wonder that a sizeable number of drivers see us as self righteous nobbers and would happily have us banned from the roads. You're really not doing our cause any good.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I think I've read all posts on this thread but may have skipped some, so forgive me if this has already been quoted.

Highway code, rule 155:
Single-track roads. These are only wide enough for one vehicle. They may have special passing places. If you see a vehicle coming towards you, or the driver behind wants to overtake, pull into a passing place on your left, or wait opposite a passing place on your right. Give way to vehicles coming uphill whenever you can. If necessary, reverse until you reach a passing place to let the other vehicle pass. Slow down when passing pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.
It also states in the highway code, do not stop in asl, use mobiles when driving, break the speed limit, drink and drive, use the vehicle as a weapon, give cyclist as much space when overtaking as you would a car......need i go on

jowwy

It actually worries me that there are some cyclists (allegedly) on the roads who seem to think it is ok to hold up faster moving traffic when it can be easily avoided.

No wonder that a sizeable number of drivers see us as self righteous nobbers and would happily have us banned from the roads. You're really not doing our cause any good.
It also worries me that vehicle drivers believe that other road users should stop and let them through as if they have a god given right to go passed

Brandane

Legendary Member
You are a prince among motorists. However I fear your efforts are in vain in the usual case that the vehicles in front and behind you don't do likewise
Your location says London. Enough said. There are different rules for everything down there and using ANYTHING on the road is not for the faint hearted.

Come up to Glasgow and ride a motorbike through the rush hour traffic on the M8; generally speaking it is like the parting of the Red Sea as motorists move over a foot or two (that's all it takes) to let you filter through. There will always be the odd nobber who sees you as a queue jumper and will try to slam the door on you, but they're probably visitors from London :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Donger

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Are you wishing you never started this thread?
I was at one point! But it is actually a fascinating exercise in people watching..... Seeing some people's imaginative narratives of something I alone actually witnessed now taking on a much more exciting life all of their own. It now seems I was driving some sort of Humvee at about 90mph while breathing down the neck of some poor exemplary cyclist.... in one of those single track lanes with man traps in every gateway and constantly packed with lines of "30 or 40" other similar speed freaks. I am a little worried that I might soon start being quoted in the "Death Penalty" thread, but am otherwise just sitting back and enjoying the show. I think some people might simply have given up on trying to persuade @Marmion of the benefits of Westminster rule in Scotland and are looking for another intellectual skirmish somewhere other than in the Society, Culture and Politics thread.

Attachments

• grin[1].gif
    grin[1].gif
    265 bytes · Views: 27
  • grin[1].gif
    grin[1].gif
    265 bytes · Views: 24
  • grin[1].gif
    grin[1].gif
    265 bytes · Views: 27

jowwy

Two wrongs don't make a right.
You quoted the highway code mate, i just added to it.........your right, two wrongs dont make a right

But in this case who says the cyclist is in the wrong to do what he did????

Herbie

Veteran
I was at one point! But it is actually a fascinating exercise in people watching..... Seeing some people's imaginative narratives of something I alone actually witnessed now taking on a much more exciting life all of their own. It now seems I was driving some sort of Humvee at about 90mph while breathing down the neck of some poor exemplary cyclist.... in one of those single track lanes with man traps in every gateway and constantly packed with lines of "30 or 40" other similar speed freaks. I am a little worried that I might soon start being quoted in the "Death Penalty" thread, but am otherwise just sitting back and enjoying the show. I think some people might simply have given up on trying to persuade @Marmion of the benefits of Westminster rule in Scotland and are looking for another intellectual skirmish somewhere other than in the Society, Culture and Politics thread.

There will be wanted dead or alive posters appearing for you soon .....public enemy number one

400bhp

Guru
Went out in the car today to do a reccie for a route for my first ever 100 miler..

How odd. Just ride the feckin thing

400bhp

Guru
That anyone could turn both me and my wife of all people, into seething, snarling, foul-mouthed and potentially aggressive yobs is quite an achievement.

Feck me. He managed to get you and your wife agitated. Wow, he did well removing the sticks from your asses.

It all comes down to common courtesy and I often give way to others, when appropriate, as a pedestrian, cyclist and also as a motorist.

I really can't be arsed to self-righteously insist on enforcing my perceived rights over something so trivial and I am secure enough to not feel that giving way is a sign of weakness or an affront to my masculinity... I just happen to believe in making life as simple, smooth and enjoyable as possible.

tyred

Legendary Member
But in this case who says the cyclist is in the wrong to do what he did????

Not saying he was wrong as he is within his rights.

However he is inconsiderate (imo). He had a single car behind him, it would have taken only a few seconds to have let the car past, and both parties could have continued their journey and everyone would have been happy. Instead he choose to pointlessly antagonize another road user.

400bhp

Guru
Not saying he was wrong as he is within his rights.

However he is inconsiderate (imo). He had a single car behind him, it would have taken only a few seconds to have let the car past, and both parties could have continued their journey and everyone would have been happy. Instead he choose to pointlessly antagonize another road user.

No, mr pompous and his wife would be happy. We can't comment on the cyclist as he's not here to defend himself.

Top Bottom