You know who you are!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are a few posters on this thread who should have their bikes removed because they don't have a clue how to ride them in conjunction with other road users, show a complete disregard for rule 155 of the highway code, and cannot assess risk.
Really co in my 20+ years of driving and 5 odd years of cycling I never see cars pull over to let anything passed. In fact, usually when cycling I often see cars move over to stop a cyclist getting passed when they approach lights.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Really co in my 20+ years of driving and 5 odd years of cycling I never see cars pull over to let anything passed. In fact, usually when cycling I often see cars move over to stop a cyclist getting passed when they approach lights.

well in that case the cyclist was quite right to punish the car driver - that'll teach 'em

Profpointy

Legendary Member

well in that case the cyclist was quite right to punish the car driver - that'll teach 'em

No, not about punishing them, but about doing what was convenient for the cyclist. Stopping and losing momentum on a country lane when the driver only has 2 miles at at fair old speed of 15-20mph(OP's description) does not sound like punishing at all. May I suggest if you feel that slowing down for a few minutes by a vulnerable road user is being punished, then you choose roads that are more suited to the speeds for your oh-so-important journey?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Come take a few falls into fen drains and then maybe you'll understand! :laugh:

To be fair, we're not talking about the fens, and you're overdoing the safety issue (although I'm with you in a general sort of way - I often meet oncoming cars who appear to expect me to swerve into gravel rather than than being prepared to stop and let me go by. The best way to deal with this is to play chicken and eyeball them until they stop, but you need to be prepared to bail if this doesn't work.)

It's all a lot simpler than that. It's the cyclist's call. The perspective of the motorist behind doesn't matter much, and his assessment of whether the cyclist is being reasonable or not isn't worth the metaphorical paper it's printed on. Some cyclists will inevitably overdo it when it comes to managing traffic approaching from behind, but that doesn't matter much because it's just a small inconvenience to road users who are themselves a nuisance by definition. By far the more pressing problem is that most of us will feel pressured into being too indulgent.

snorri

Legendary Member
Use your eyes!
Please consider the blind and visually challenged:sad:.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
There are a few posters on this thread who should have their bikes removed because they don't have a clue how to ride them in conjunction with other road users, show a complete disregard for rule 155 of the highway code, and cannot assess risk.
You can quote rule 155 of the highway code as much as you want......

Drivers break the rules of the highway code everyday and yes two wrongs dont make a right......but if we are going by the rules, the driver wouldnt be allowed to pass the cyclist at any time in this scenario.

Why should the motorist have his licence taken away? He behaved in a proper manner,he didn't force the cyclist to do anything but sat behind him until he could turn off.
What his thoughts were at the time and what they were may be entirely different and shouldn't count anyway.
As for the poor cyclist who can do no wrong should he have his cycle crushed for being a nuisance to other road users. He was lucky that the vehicle behind wasn't a UPS van, there's no stopping them.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
The best way to deal with this is to play chicken and eyeball them until they stop, but you need to be prepared to bail if this doesn't work.)
I find I generally stand on the pedals too, I think it's a somewhat instinctive thing to make myself look bigger as I lack hackles, a throwback to some point in my evolution. Either that or my brain thinks if I stand up it'll be easier to jump out of the way, if that's what it is it's forgotten I'm clipped in!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Why should the motorist have his licence taken away? He behaved in a proper manner,he didn't force the cyclist to do anything but sat behind him until he could turn off.
What his thoughts were at the time and what they were may be entirely different and shouldn't count anyway.
As for the poor cyclist who can do no wrong should he have his cycle crushed for being a nuisance to other road users. He was lucky that the vehicle behind wasn't a UPS van, there's no stopping them.
In whos opinion was the cyclist being a nuisance to other road users?

Also the story has been put forward by only one side The Driver, how do we know the driver/ops version of events is correct......we dont, but many people are assuming they are and are acting accordingly within their replies

Top Bottom