You know who you are!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why are you putting so much effort into describing him? We only have your word that any of this is true and you and your wife have already displayed an irrational prejudice.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
When cyclists totally ignore red traffic lights , cycle more than 2 abreast when a vehicle approaches, ride the wrong way up one way streets, cut in and out of traffic weaving dangerously. How would you expect motorists to feel.
Oh by the the way what is the stopping distance of a cycle travelling at 20 mph?
Is there someone we can talk to to make this kind of self hatred a Cycle Chat Godwins Law? Only it crops up with surprising regularity in threads, is always being posted with the same 'we should all be flagellating ourselves' agenda and only serves the purpose to show that further involvement in the thread should be for comedic purposes only.

gavintc

Guru
So I'm not on your Christmas card list then? Any time you come down to Gloucestershire, you are welcome to come for a ride with me anyway, along with any other Cyclechatters who currently have me down as a vile thug. I don't bear grudges. (By the way, without stopping to ask his name, how else could I convey who I was talking about, other than by describing him to a tee? I suppose I could also have mentioned his sticky-out ears, but that seemed like overkill at the time).
Cracking troll post which has gone for 15 pages. Can't believe so many have bitten. Don't feed the trolls.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I could actually have squeezed past dangerously on 5 or 6 occasions, but that's not me.
Wow, what a hero.

I didn't actually overtake the crap cyclist or put him in any danger
Apart from tailgating him you mean? 12 feet is way too close to follow.

He held you up for significantly less than 10 minutes. I suggest you stop driving until you can lose the impatient MGIF attitude.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Do you pay road tax,insurance, MOT, have at least 1.6 mm of tread on your tyres. No!

When cyclists totally ignore red traffic lights , cycle more than 2 abreast when a vehicle approaches, ride the wrong way up one way streets, cut in and out of traffic weaving dangerously. How would you expect motorists to feel.
Oh by the the way what is the stopping distance of a cycle travelling at 20 mph?

Ah, a self-hating cyclist. I've heard of these.

tyred

Legendary Member
So I'm not on your Christmas card list then? Any time you come down to Gloucestershire, you are welcome to come for a ride with me anyway, along with any other Cyclechatters who currently have me down as a vile thug. I don't bear grudges. (By the way, without stopping to ask his name, how else could I convey who I was talking about, other than by describing him to a tee? I suppose I could also have mentioned his sticky-out ears, but that seemed like overkill at the time).

Was he riding a pink Raleigh Caprice with a basket and tassels on the handlebards?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Nice of you to single me out amongst all the other responses :okay:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Was he riding a pink Raleigh Caprice with a basket and tassels on the handlebards?

Wait, that jogs my memory, did he indicate turning with a cocked arm and his other hand on his hip? At any point going down hill did he remove his feet from the pedals and yell "I'm Free" at the top of his voice?

I mean, if the answer is yes to those two then I'm starting to think I might know the guy... Are we merely hurling abuse at him once we've tracked him down, or do you want to get the baseball bats out?

@Donger Love You :-)

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
I often meet oncoming cars who appear to expect me to swerve into gravel rather than than being prepared to stop and let me go by. The best way to deal with this is to play chicken and eyeball them until they stop, but you need to be prepared to bail if this doesn't work.

'Evening, tudles! That's always been my technique too.

My commute has about 8 miles of singletrack road where many drivers seem intent on this sort of attempted intimidation, but when I decided to commute with very bright lights in daylight, even bright sunshine, the number of incidences drastically reduced. They seem to send a strong 'do NOT attempt to intimidate me off this road' message.....and the number of cars now stopping way in the distance when they first see the light is not bad at all.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
'Evening, tudles! That's always been my technique too.

My commute has about 8 miles of singletrack road where many drivers seem intent on this sort of attempted intimidation, but when I decided to commute with very bright lights in daylight, even bright sunshine, the number of incidences drastically reduced. They seem to send a strong 'do NOT attempt to intimidate me off this road' message.....and the number of cars now stopping way in the distance when they first see the light is not bad at all.

Foggers! How nice to see you. Can't endorse the light policy - I have been cultivating a diametrically opposed one - but each to their own.

pauldavid

Veteran
I was at one point! But it is actually a fascinating exercise in people watching..... Seeing some people's imaginative narratives of something I alone actually witnessed now taking on a much more exciting life all of their own. It now seems I was driving some sort of Humvee at about 90mph while breathing down the neck of some poor exemplary cyclist.... in one of those single track lanes with man traps in every gateway and constantly packed with lines of "30 or 40" other similar speed freaks. I am a little worried that I might soon start being quoted in the "Death Penalty" thread, but am otherwise just sitting back and enjoying the show. I think some people might simply have given up on trying to persuade @Marmion of the benefits of Westminster rule in Scotland and are looking for another intellectual skirmish somewhere other than in the Society, Culture and Politics thread.

Just so we're clear, were you on your way to hunt a lion at the time?

Top Bottom