You know who you are!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why should the motorist have his licence taken away? He behaved in a proper manner
"at 15-20mph ... about 12 feet behind him" and "made a couple of aborted careful attempts to get past him" (not "sat behind him until he could turn off") is really what you'd call "a proper manner"? :eek:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
"at 15-20mph ... about 12 feet behind him" and "made a couple of aborted careful attempts to get past him" (not "sat behind him until he could turn off") is really what you'd call "a proper manner"? :eek:
It did sound like something that could be interpreted by the rider as an impatient motorist and keeping up 15-20mph does make it harder to select a small opening to squeeze yourself in to to let them pass. The OP probably needs to add a big stencil to their bonnet "don't panic, I'm a cyclist really". But as they say, they were the only one there so what do we know.

Yes that's what I said, limited experience^_^.
ok, think you know what I mean. Travel hundreds and hundreds of miles a year on single track roads. It is quite common to see quit a few cars in a single journey and see no need to stop for each and every one of them.

snorri

Legendary Member
ok, think you know what I mean. Travel hundreds and hundreds of miles a year on single track roads. It is quite common to see quit a few cars in a single journey and see no need to stop for each and every one of them.
It is dependent on road width and positioning of passing places, driving/ cycling on the verge is a risky option, also damaging to drainage systems.
But hey we don't want to get too technical in this thread, it is just one big wind-up...................isn't it???:whistle:

:biggrin:

Was the cyclist on a time trial,deaf or what? I feel uncomfortable with vehicles following close behind me and will pull over if I feel that I am hindering them. Yes I will even dismount and stand on the verge if necessary, no there are no land mines, crocodiles or any other nasties lurking in the deep undergrowth here in Wiltshire. Pedestrians will do the same thing when vehicles approach, so what makes cyclists feel superior?
As for following 12 feet behind might be a bit close but wasn't breathing down his neck and if you consider how long that was 8 minutes. A long time if you watch it tick by.
Yes we have only one persons perspective on this incident but from the replies there are two definite camps forming. One on the motorists side and the other for the cyclist.
Unless both sides can coincide amicably I can see free cycling as we know it will disappear.

swansonj

Guru
The OP probably needs to add a big stencil to their bonnet "don't panic, I'm a cyclist really".
I often wish there were such a sign available. I quite often find myself, when driving, following a cyclist for a long period, because I choose not to overtake in marginal situations where most other drivers probably would. Then I see the cyclist getting visibly concerned that they are holding me up, presumably not being used to this sort of behaviour from motorists and possibly concerned I will be getting stressed and will take it out on them, and then either putting on a sprint or finding a place to stop so I can overtake. A "it's OK mate, you carry on, I'm a cyclist myself, it's fine" signal would be useful.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I often wish there were such a sign available. I quite often find myself, when driving, following a cyclist for a long period, because I choose not to overtake in marginal situations where most other drivers probably would. Then I see the cyclist getting visibly concerned that they are holding me up, presumably not being used to this sort of behaviour from motorists and possibly concerned I will be getting stressed and will take it out on them, and then either putting on a sprint or finding a place to stop so I can overtake. A "it's OK mate, you carry on, I'm a cyclist myself, it's fine" signal would be useful.
Likewise, my least traffic option drive home includes a lane where it would be tight to pass a car and bicycle. Which means of course that most cars barge through. I just sit and wait for a bicycle because I'm not a nobber, specifically on the bit with a hill you often see the cyclist either confused or pushing themselves in to the red to get out of my way as quickly as possible. I'd really prefer if they just continued what they were doing and let me wait.

Then again, expecting someone with a cycle rack on the top of their car to be any more considerate than any other cage driver can turn out to be a huge mistake. Doesn't stop me getting extra irate when the close pass comes in from someone with a bike stuffed in the back of their car who is obviously doing a cycle/drive commute just the same as me, only parks closer in.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Was the cyclist on a time trial,deaf or what? I feel uncomfortable with vehicles following close behind me and will pull over if I feel that I am hindering them. Yes I will even dismount and stand on the verge if necessary, no there are no land mines, crocodiles or any other nasties lurking in the deep undergrowth here in Wiltshire. Pedestrians will do the same thing when vehicles approach, so what makes cyclists feel superior?
As for following 12 feet behind might be a bit close but wasn't breathing down his neck and if you consider how long that was 8 minutes. A long time if you watch it tick by.
Yes we have only one persons perspective on this incident but from the replies there are two definite camps forming. One on the motorists side and the other for the cyclist.
Unless both sides can coincide amicably I can see free cycling as we know it will disappear.
What free cycling as we know it??? You mean cycling on roads with other traffic, where they think they are superior to the vulnerable road user and rule the roost........doesnt seem to free to me

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As for following 12 feet behind might be a bit lethally close but wasn't breathing down his neck and less than a third of the typical stopping distance at 20mph and if you consider how long that was 8 minutes. A long time if you watch it tick by.
FTFY.
I'm a motorist myself and the behaviour described in the OP makes me worried that we'll all be held responsible by some people, leading to a further deterioration in on-road behaviour, contrary to http://highwaycode.info/rule/147

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
This thread reminds me of a CC ride to Buxton a few years ago. I think @fossyant had arranged it. Longers, Skud up North, Dan_bo, Fossy and I were going up a very narrow climb in the Peak district near Whaley Bridge when a van came screaming up behind us. He had no intention of stopping and we literally had to climb up the grass embankments which were about three feet high, dragging our bikes with us to avoid being squashed. At least the OP was more patient than white van man. :smile:

Top Bottom