you must live near York!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I bet most of you who can do 18 mph + average must live in York. Went there to visit some friends at the week end and was amazed at how flat it is. Not a single hill for miles! So now I know where you come from if your average speed is high. So glad we have hills in Wales!

cerenko

Doncaster to York and back 52 mile, only hills are 2 bridges, fast and flat, opposite direction and within 20 mile enter the peak district, not a flat road to be found, perfect location.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You don't have to ride that far from York to get to some great hills though! What is it, about 14 miles East to the Wolds, 20 miles North to the Hambleton Hills and North York Moors, and 20 miles West to the hills of West Yorkshire and a bit further to the North-West for the Dales?

I love cycling in the hills, but I do sometimes I wish that I didn't only have hills and big towns and cities all around me! (Busy valley A-roads excepted.) It would be good to have flat roads nearby in at least one quadrant.

Bigsharn

Veteran
You don't have to ride that far from York to get to some great hills though! What is it, about 14 miles East to the Wolds, 20 miles North to the Hambleton Hills and North York Moors, and 20 miles West to the hills of West Yorkshire and a bit further to the North-West for the Dales?

I love cycling in the hills, but I do sometimes I wish that I didn't only have hills and big towns and cities all around me! (Busy valley A-roads excepted.) It would be good to have flat roads nearby in at least one quadrant.

15 miles east (A116) to Garrowby
12 miles northeast (A64) to Whitwell
20 miles west towards Wetherby (or 15 towards Harrogate)
20 miles southwest to Leeds/Bradford
An age south to the nearest hill (think Sheffield or Lincoln)

The drawback with living somewhere with so few hills, when we come across them, we panic and have to change to the (*sigh*) granny ring

Slioch

Guru

The drawback with living somewhere with so few hills, when we come across them, we panic and have to change to the (*sigh*) granny ring

Bulmer Bank is definitely granny ring country, and only 10 miles from the city centre (SE692674). One good thing about living in York is that if you're out for a long ride in any direction, then the last 10 miles home when you're a bit knackered are always on the flat :smile:.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

Here as well:
7-weather.jpg

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Ah, Illinois, where if your dog runs away from home you can watch it for three days!

Hi, Gravity Aided (sounds rather inappropriate if you have no hills to descend!), what's that bird flying across the middle of your pic, Turkey Vulture by any chance?

Top Bottom