You never know when you're time is up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Well done for trying. It's a horrid situation, but you tried and it will mean a lot to the family that you did.

Well done for trying you did your best and that's all you can do

This is the first point

Casualty, Holby City and the likes give an unrealistic expectation

Unless you have access to a defibrillator, chances of success are low

All you can do ( and did) is maintain the patient until the pros arrive

Good for you for trying to save him, that will mean a lot to his family.

We had a local situation where we were asked for help... where the patient was clearly dead, and resuscitation was inappropriate

However we did it anyway as the elderly wife was worried that she had not done enough

The "resuscitation" was a theatre for her sake, and that point of view was a success

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Well, it's been a trying day. Not long after my 'I have nothing to do today' post in Mundane News, I went to wash my car, I heard some commotion two doors down, my neighbour is lying on the ground his face purple, I try and spectacularly fail to save him, five paramedics and three fire and rescue spend another 30 minutes with him are as equally unsuccessful. 8:58 my security camera showed him walking his dog past my house he was dead less than two minutes later. 60 years old last week.

It gives pause I'll tell that and I'll tell you know more.

Really sorry, that must be very upsetting for you. You tried, that's all you can do.
^^This, I feel for you. You did a very brave thing so don't go beating yourself up about it.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's a particularly tough one to deal with.

It was bud. I know there's nothing else I could've done, but I still feel guilty - her Dad was a senior Army officer and was driven home but didn't arrive for some hours, hardest thing I ever did was look another man in the eye and tell him I tried but wasn't good enough. I know it's a dumb way to think, but that's how it feels.A little part of me died with the little girl.

Carlos is a real man and a solid citizen for trying, and because he's a class act he'll always feel a touch upset by it. I do.

Slick

Guru
It was bud. I know there's nothing else I could've done, but I still feel guilty - her Dad was a senior Army officer and was driven home but didn't arrive for some hours, hardest thing I ever did was look another man in the eye and tell him I tried but wasn't good enough. I know it's a dumb way to think, but that's how it feels.A little part of me died with the little girl.

Carlos is a real man and a solid citizen for trying, and because he's a class act he'll always feel a touch upset by it. I do.
All true. I went on the BHF website to see if I could join an event to raise some cash after reading some of the stories on here. So far everything is down south, so I may have to organise my own thing.
Other than that, I've no idea on how you deal with something like that.

TVC

I was told by Dr Phil Hammond a few days ago that only 6.7% of those who suffer cardiac arrest outside hospital can be revived, and most of those are when the heart stops for outside reasons like a sudden blow or electric shock. He said 'basically if your heart stops of its own acord then it is trying to tell you something, and that something is that it is done'.

You do have to try though and give it your best until the professionals arrive.

Slick

Guru
I was told by Dr Phil Hammond a few days ago that only 6.7% of those who suffer cardiac arrest outside hospital can be revived, and most of those are when the heart stops for outside reasons like a sudden blow or electric shock. He said 'basically if your heart stops of its own acord then it is trying to tell you something, and that something is that it is done'.

You do have to try though and give it your best until the professionals arrive.
I'm obviously no doctor, but my dad suffered constant angina, then a succession of heart attacks, he was given a bypass and when he finally passed away from prostrate cancer 17 years later, his heart was the strongest organ in his body. For some the problem is not the actual heart, but the arteries feeding it or loads of other possibilities.

Top Bottom