You never know when you're time is up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, it's been a trying day. Not long after my 'I have nothing to do today' post in Mundane News, I went to wash my car, I heard some commotion two doors down, my neighbour is lying on the ground his face purple, I try and spectacularly fail to save him, five paramedics and three fire and rescue spend another 30 minutes with him are as equally unsuccessful. 8:58 my security camera showed him walking his dog past my house he was dead less than two minutes later. 60 years old last week.

It gives pause I'll tell that and I'll tell you know more.
:sad:

stephec

Legendary Member
Happened to me nearly two years ago. Neighbours thirteen year old daughter collapsed. Tried to save her and failed.

Life if fleeting and short.
That was one of the first things I thought of after reading the OP.

I remember you posting it at the time, was it really that long ago?

Drago

Legendary Member
IIRC it'll be two years ago in June, so time really does fly.

On the upside the parents have become close friends and I've become a sort of uncle figure to the older Brother who's now nineteen. I recently saw him flying about like a loon in his car, and I took him aside and gave him a gentle talking to - his Mum is still terribly cut up about the loss of his sister, so I asked him to think about what it would do to his Mum if he killed himself in a car accident.

He's now slowed down to merely transonic speeds.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Thank you postman you have hit the nail on the head. Fortunately I still cycle tho' not now with the local club as I am not fast enough being a bit out of practice. Everyone greets me tho' as I was at one time known as the "" grandfather " of the club and used to be timekeeper for local races.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Well, it's been a trying day. Not long after my 'I have nothing to do today' post in Mundane News, I went to wash my car, I heard some commotion two doors down, my neighbour is lying on the ground his face purple, I try and spectacularly fail to save him, five paramedics and three fire and rescue spend another 30 minutes with him are as equally unsuccessful. 8:58 my security camera showed him walking his dog past my house he was dead less than two minutes later. 60 years old last week.

It gives pause I'll tell that and I'll tell you know more.
Good on you for your attempts at saving him.

MarkF

Guru
I've a had a few similar encounters, the details are not important but after each one and in the days after I've looked at my own life and made decisions to try and be a better person, be happier, learn something new etc. etc. etc. but I never do, nothing ever really changes for me, sometimes I think about them but only for a moment, I do wish I could make something good from a bad encounter, maybe its just how I deal with things.

Opposite for me, I had a right run of luck in the late '80's starting with the Bradford City fire, the incidents totally changed me as a person and I've sailed happily through life ever since, distancing myself from moaners and negativity and doing what I want when I feel like it.

The OP incident is just life, working in a hospital I see it every day, one woman was crying in a corridor, she told me everything, she and her husband had sold their house, bought a villa in Spain and were looking forward to an early retirement. Now she had nowhere to live, a villa to sell in Spain (good luck with that) and looking at her future as a full time carer. Her husband had suffered a severe stoke. I often think of her.

Don't like your job? Jack it in. Want to change your life? Do it. Your legs won't drop off or owt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom