You never know when you're time is up.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

I'm obviously no doctor, but my dad suffered constant angina, then a succession of heart attacks, he was given a bypass and when he finally passed away from prostrate cancer 17 years later, his heart was the strongest organ in his body. For some the problem is not the actual heart, but the arteries feeding it or loads of other possibilities.
Agreed

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Sorry to hear that, can't have been nice :sad:

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I've been lucky in my life and have never had to deal with anything like this before.

I think I'm just a bit shocked and posting this earlier was a bit of a knee jerk reaction. I apologise for burdening you all with it and at the same time I thank you for the kind words and thoughts.

Alan was a nice guy always up for a laugh and a chat and a helpful neighbour. A loss to all who knew him.

postman

Legendary Member
I have told this story before,and unlike my jokes,this is true.
When i married Kay,she had been living in this house for seven years.I first saw it,as i was part of a Church skills team.Men and women who could help out people with diy jobs.I answered a call from Kay to decorate a small room.The house was in a time warp,dated decor and both gas fires sealed off as dangerous.
Anyway we got together as a couple i was 39 and divorced.We got married in 1990,i was forty by then.So the house needed sorting.There was a lot of noise,banging rubble removed,two new fires and hours and hours of sanding down distemper,it was a nightmare.
But i kept it to afternoons and weekends.
But my neighbour an elderly lady did not like it,even though we had told her what was going to happen.So one day she stopped me in the street.She gave me a good going over,telling me how the noise and upset was harming her.I explained it was nearly over.In her temper,she groaned,her knees buckled and i caught her as she went down.I laid her in the recover position and called Kay to ask for an ambulance.Just then a man and women passed by,he knelt down looked and pronounced her dead,then walked off.The ambulance was here in a flash,they tried but they said it was no good she had gone.
That night i slept with the light on ,Kay was on nights.Relatives later came to the house,thanked me for being there and they were glad she had not died alone,they also told me she had a history of Angina,i have no idea to this day if i had any part in causing her death.

Slick

Guru
I have told this story before,and unlike my jokes,this is true.
When i married Kay,she had been living in this house for seven years.I first saw it,as i was part of a Church skills team.Men and women who could help out people with diy jobs.I answered a call from Kay to decorate a small room.The house was in a time warp,dated decor and both gas fires sealed off as dangerous.
Anyway we got together as a couple i was 39 and divorced.We got married in 1990,i was forty by then.So the house needed sorting.There was a lot of noise,banging rubble removed,two new fires and hours and hours of sanding down distemper,it was a nightmare.
But i kept it to afternoons and weekends.
But my neighbour an elderly lady did not like it,even though we had told her what was going to happen.So one day she stopped me in the street.She gave me a good going over,telling me how the noise and upset was harming her.I explained it was nearly over.In her temper,she groaned,her knees buckled and i caught her as she went down.I laid her in the recover position and called Kay to ask for an ambulance.Just then a man and women passed by,he knelt down looked and pronounced her dead,then walked off.The ambulance was here in a flash,they tried but they said it was no good she had gone.
That night i slept with the light on ,Kay was on nights.Relatives later came to the house,thanked me for being there and they were glad she had not died alone,they also told me she had a history of Angina,i have no idea to this day if i had any part in causing her death.
Of course you didn't, she had heart disease like so many other, you had nothing to do with it.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Yes people do die but the reaction varies enormously depending on circumstances. It is quite appropriate to express condolences even tho' it is someone you do not know. It means something to somebody. In the past I have had to find and remove dead bodies from the sea. These were people I had no connection with and as the only divers available we agreed to do this as a service really. My dive buddy was quite affected but I seemed to treat it as just one of these things that had to be done. My parents both died in their 90's and while it was a bit sad it was inevitable at some point due to old age. However my wife of many years died recently and it is a different story entirely.Bereavement is a very lonely kind of misery particularly when it is someone close to you. I reflect that my own time could be up soon but there is nothing really to deflect the inevitable.
Most on this forum I think have shown due respect even to a stranger.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've been lucky in my life and have never had to deal with anything like this before.

I think I'm just a bit shocked and posting this earlier was a bit of a knee jerk reaction. I apologise for burdening you all with it and at the same time I thank you for the kind words and thoughts.

Alan was a nice guy always up for a laugh and a chat and a helpful neighbour. A loss to all who knew him.
Never feel you have apologise for saying you tried. No matter what anyone thinks, you tried.

postman

Legendary Member
Funny how reading this post has brought out my story,there is another tale.The Police came,they entered the house to find contact details.It was a Friday,Mrs Gold was of the Jewish faith,her husband long dead, had been a Concert pianist.She had a brother in Manchester also of the Jewish faith,he refused point blank to come out on the Friday evening to identify her body.The family bought me chocolates as a thank you.

postman

Legendary Member
.Bereavement is a very lonely kind of misery particularly when it is someone close to you

Old wheels,i hope you have company on a regular basis,or you have the chance to get out and meet people.I sit two nights a week with a neighbour who lost his wife four years ago.It has been a blessing for me,as he tells me how much he enjoys my visits,he hates Sundays as he sees nobody,his son comes takes him out or he goes over to his son.But his son goes to London most weekends.I don't know what else to say,but try to keep active and get about and talk to people,there are some lonely people out there who would love a smile.I know i have met a lady in Sainsburys i nearl squashed her on the bus when i nearly sat in her lap.Only this friday i set her bicycle wing mirrors on her walking shopping frame.Just a few mins company makes all the difference.Keep your chin up.

Katherine

Guru

Please don't apologise. Nor should it be a burden. This is a community.
You have had a shock but you will also be grieving.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
It was bud. I know there's nothing else I could've done, but I still feel guilty - her Dad was a senior Army officer and was driven home but didn't arrive for some hours, hardest thing I ever did was look another man in the eye and tell him I tried but wasn't good enough. I know it's a dumb way to think, but that's how it feels.A little part of me died with the little girl.

Carlos is a real man and a solid citizen for trying, and because he's a class act he'll always feel a touch upset by it. I do.
Wow, deep respect to you too, @Drago.

Top Bottom