You'll never guess what Ive gone and done...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Yeah make sure it's not me!:laugh:;)

Shaun

Founder
Yes, give us some details - who is it, and what are you having built.

BTW Don't let them con you into thinking that this year plastic is the new carbon ... :laugh:

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Aperitif said:
You will not regret it...they might! ;)

Well as I'm particular re angles, lengths of tubes etc.. ie the FRM stem RIP ! :laugh:

Crackle said:
Are you gonna tell us which one Yenners?

Admin said:
Yes, give us some details - who is it, and what are you having built.

It's here:

http://www.steve-goff-frames.co.uk/

I've met him years back in a mates cycle shop...so I know what I need really: longer TT than I've got now and a steeper seat angle as well !

He's been building/welding for years.

Anyhow its for Sat. so we'll so how it goes and I'll updates this !

Its close by me - well, by 15mls.

Thanks.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wooooooooooo.....

What you going for......?

PS He's probably sound. Frank Herety was known as a grumpy/set in his way's sort of bloke - but if you went in and asked advice etc, he'd happily sort you out a rather nice bike - he was a perfectionist......

TBH - he'd never build a bike that wouldn't handle well.

Have fun mate, you'll be well chuffed with the result...........

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Right, so went along and was LATE :ohmy: apologised: but still, he wasn't busy, well never looked it - quite chiiled, as usually he does. (indication of a steady hand on the welding perhaps :blush: )

Anyhow, went in after getting lost (which meant an on-the-bike-fone-call-getting-directions) - I stated what I needed pretty much straight off, after saying Hi and the likes...he wen thru' the details and weights of tubes sets and the likes...Columbus coming out lighter and a whole lot more expensive.

He did show me a fantastic frame (columbus nivacrom) with immaculate welds (well fillet brazed as he put it - looked a bit p@ssed that I said 'welded') :blush:

After we'd sorted the frame and what I needed and him getting angles and the likes...I asked him about some forks which I may get but am not..on this frame..he shown me an all Carbon job - ultra ultra light....I may got for a fork but not sure.

The frame I'm getting is a 74' parrallel seat/head with a 23"/57cm TT; same length c.stays as I have now which are short. I've also got the head tube reduced from the 17cm it is to 14cm which is one of the critical points I also wanted! 52cm seatube size.

Its 853 with a columbus oversized down tube suitable for my build and what power I can produce.

He exemplified the frame weight issue and the selection of he correct gauge tube per body type by saying he was very excited when the lighter tubes started being produced and built an ultra-light-frame for himself and it was like copper-tube as he has a tall-yet thin build...

So, in effect, the frame i'll get is something that'll last yet be light'ish but strong too for my body...and hopefully, get the feeling will last also !

We had a discussion about mass-produced frames & advancing technologies available and his viewpoints which was VERY interesting coming from an experienced person.

Nice fella - he even put had the heater on for me so I wouldn't get too cold :blush:

http://www.steve-goff-frames.co.uk/

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Same as now: black gloss - ok its drab in some ways but its ok as it hides the dirt - not that I leave the bike for years without a wash !

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've got this kind of dreadful thrill of anticipation. After years of struggle with frames that don't quite convert effort in to motion, Yenners gets on top of a bike that does that very thing. The force of his every word is instantly transformed in to kinetic energy. There is a flash of light. He re-materialises in some other place wearing a yellow jersey and being kissed by podium girls.

peanut

yenrod said:
Made an Appt. at a frame builders !

Any advice......?

brilliant.:smile:

Ok
through the top tube cable run for rear brake
2x bottle cage bosses (use one for tool bottle )
Chain hanger boss on rear stay
Integral cast gear cable guide on bottom bracket (no plastic rubbish:biggrin: )
vertical rear drop outs
integral headset

what a brilliant idea . What tube material are you going for ? steel I hope ;)

note to self' read all posts'

Top Bottom