Young driver insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
I thnk the main consideration is postcode & type of car, if they are a young new driver it will be various shades of expensive, however the use of a tracker seems to be an option, but my only concern is that the mapping needs to be accurate, our company vans have them fitted and alot of roads have the speed limits incorrectly set on them.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am pleased to see nobody has come up with the old, more than the cars worth rubbish.

D

Deleted member 1258

Just had my own renewal through on my Kia Sportage. Thieving gits wanted £87 fully comp for the year. Do they think I'm made of bloody money?

You're doing better than me, £36 a month on a 13 year old Hyundai.

D

Deleted member 1258

[QUOTE 4369281, member: 259"]Drago's a copper, or an ex-copper, and they used to get very cheap insurance.[/QUOTE]

I thought that might be why his was so cheap. When I brought my KA in 2012 it had been 30 years since I'd last owned a car, I got treated as a new driver and it was costing me £50 a month for insurance.

OP
OP
Dave 123

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Have a look at getting your lad to do a Pass Plus course, could take 10-15% off the premiums. No idea how much the course is nowadays though as I don't work in insurance any longer.

He did mention this, and as someone who passed their advanced driving test I'm all for more training.

But...

Pass plus kind of says that passing your test isn't fit for purpose!

He did mention this, and as someone who passed their advanced driving test I'm all for more training.

But...

Passing your test kind of isn't! Too many young drivers think passing the test means they're skilled, competent drivers. All it really means is that they are safe to be unsupervised.

As with anything, continued education and training is always a good thing

Saluki

World class procrastinator

But...

It is training out on a motorway, where regular driving lessons won't let you drive. It's good experience and the insurance companies like it. I know many a person who passed their test in the morning and were driving up the M6 later that day, a little freaked out as it's all a lot faster and busier than the A50 :smile:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I believe it also covers night driving, rain, etc too

No test involved, just a minimum number of training hours.
I did most of my driving lessons, at night in the pouring rain, over winter months. On test day, the sun was shining and it was 10am. 6th April 2000. My driving instructor said 'do you think that you will be alright in daylight with good weather?'. He thought it was a great joke. I was thrilled to pass first time, although there was a sticky moment when the instructor asked for my theory pass slip and I hadn't a clue what he was on about. My driving instructor got out of the car and pointed out that my driving licence clearly shows a full bike licence since Thursday, 5th March, 1981. No theory necessary.

D

Deleted member 26715

Also choose your car wisely, as everything with insurance is down to numbers, the actuaries just look at the common cars, Corsa's, C2's, Fiesta's etc. where a lot of them have been written off by young drivers, if you choose something that not many young people drive you might be surprised how much cheaper the insurance will be, whether you can get your son to drive it as it might not be cool enough is another matter.

Drago

Legendary Member
I did most of my driving lessons, at night in the pouring rain, over winter months. On test day, the sun was shining and it was 10am. 6th April 2000. My driving instructor said 'do you think that you will be alright in daylight with good weather?'. He thought it was a great joke. I was thrilled to pass first time, although there was a sticky moment when the instructor asked for my theory pass slip and I hadn't a clue what he was on about. My driving instructor got out of the car and pointed out that my driving licence clearly shows a full bike licence since Thursday, 5th March, 1981. No theory necessary.
When I did mine 30 years ago all you had to do was drive between two cows without hitting either. If you failed you just carried on and drove home.

Top Bottom