Young driver insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Admiral, 10 month policy, with 12 months ncb. £1000 with a black box that reduces the premium on anniversary (and can be monitored to ensure it will). Was the cheapest I found for a 1400 car.

Ps the black box first work and sometimes screws up the cars computer display! But that another story

OP
OP
Dave 123

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Also choose your car wisely, as everything with insurance is down to numbers, the actuaries just look at the common cars, Corsa's, C2's, Fiesta's etc. where a lot of them have been written off by young drivers, if you choose something that not many young people drive you might be surprised how much cheaper the insurance will be, whether you can get your son to drive it as it might not be cool enough is another matter.

Thankfully he doesn't do cool!
We're looking at a 54 plate Daewoo matiz as its tidy, low mileage and not at all bling. One of these was my dads last car before he stopped driving. I used to pinch it from him, it was a good little run around.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Also choose your car wisely, as everything with insurance is down to numbers, the actuaries just look at the common cars, Corsa's, C2's, Fiesta's etc. where a lot of them have been written off by young drivers, if you choose something that not many young people drive you might be surprised how much cheaper the insurance will be, whether you can get your son to drive it as it might not be cool enough is another matter.
That's a very interesting viewpoint. Hopelessly inaccurate, but interesting.

The methods typically used to price insurance business do their best to strip out that sort of effect.

Cubist

Still wavin'
These two don't always show up on comparison sites, so google them for quotes anyway. My two 18 yr olds have just renewed after a year. Cubester spent £2k on passing for an X reg Jimny, with Tesco black box, then renewed this year for 1200 with Elephant. Cubette spent her first year with Ingenie black boxes in 1300 fiesta zetec, 2000 vintage. Cubester renewed for about a grand this year in the same Jimny,and Cubette swapped to a 59 plate Peugeot 107 for 875. We live in a punitive postcode due to massive levels of insurance fraud in the county.

MarkF

Guru
Are classic cars still cheap for newbies? My lad takes his test in August and I fancy a Mk1 MX5..............

Top Bottom