Young Eds' 15psi tyre! :O

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
They are good but a track pump, even a cheaper one will be more useful imho.
i meant to keep on the bike to inflate on the go rather than a proper pump

I believe it's a very complicated way of telling you to use the tube size that matches the tyre.

could have just written it in writing for the whally heads not knowing the tube size matches the tyre size! :tongue::wacko:
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Buggi means the valve of a Presta
doesn't explain anything to me????
Cheers Ed

Linford

That is a 'get you out of the poo in the middle of nowhere when you get a puncture on the side of the road pump', not a 'correct the pressure every 2 weeks when they lose a bit' pump

Get a track pump...that red one is very good value.

PpPete

Legendary Member

The Lezyne Road Drive is IMHO about as good as you can get for "on the go" if you have skinny road tyres that work best at 90psi and up.
Not everyone likes the retro separate hose style and they are *not* cheap.

CO2 cartridge systems are quicker....but one cartridge = one inflation and then you is f@@ked if you get another flat.
Also tubes inflated with CO2 go soft quicker than those inflated with air. I understand this is to do with the size of the molecule.

PpPete

Legendary Member
That is a 'get you out of the poo in the middle of nowhere when you get a puncture on the side of the road pump', not a 'correct the pressure every 2 weeks when they lose a bit' pump

Get a track pump...that red one is very good value.

Sound advice.
Not tried the Halfords one.
Joe Blow and Lezyne are great.
Tesco's own label cheapo copy is pretty sh1te.

Oh yes - and do not believe any pressure rating on any pump unless you have a GF named Olive and live on a diet of spinach (soz - joke for old farts)
If you want 120 psi in your tyre get a pump rated at 160 psi
If you want 60 psi in your tyre then get a pump rated at 100 psi

Last edited:

buggi

Bird Saviour
yes, on a presta valve there is a little nut you have to unscrew before you pump it up. When you get your blow jo... Er... I mean Joe Blow... It will have a double end. One side is for the schrader valve (short and fat like one that is on a car tyre) and the other side is for a presta valve (long and skinny).

SWSteve

Guru
have the red halfords pump, it does a sterling job

Hip Priest

Veteran
Tempting to laugh at Ed, but when I got my first road bike, I tried to get the tyres up to 100psi using a little hand pump and by the time I realised I had the wrong tool for the job I'd manage to burn my hand and burst several blood vessels in my right arm. And I was 32, not 14!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Tempting to laugh at Ed, but when I got my first road bike, I tried to get the tyres up to 100psi using a little hand pump and by the time I realised I had the wrong tool for the job I'd manage to burn my hand and burst several blood vessels in my right arm. And I was 32, not 14!
Not laughing at anybody, me, never, because, not so long ago, I thought bike tyres were like car tyres, never knew they had an inner tube :blush:
And I was well over 40!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Everyone's made a stupid mistake at some point - I'm sure there's many threads on here dedicated to the fine art of the imbecilic cock-up.
I'd like to recommend SGS track pumps, mostly because when my one broke they sent me a free replacement pump head. Which was nice. But Blow Jo (oo-er!) ones are good too.

Top Bottom