Your best bike you owned?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I haven't sold any !
+1

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Best bike ever... Raleigh Striker.

I got my moneys worth out of that one. I can still remember the mock motorbike suspension gaiters and its reflective logo sticker.

Good days... Great days...

strikerforsale23.jpg

This isn't my photos, but I think its fairly representive of every early 80`s striker I remember seeing.

Possibly in terms of technology/design/unusualness, it'd have been my Pace Research RC100

Owned 1990 - 1997

- Square, externally-butted frame
- Magura hydraulic brakes (the problem with them was, that inflated tyres wouldn't pass between the pistons/shoes
- Grease-nipples on headset & bottom-bracket
- The fore-runner of an Aheadset (but upside down)
- Individually replaceable fork-legs (or interchangeable with suspension legs; the RC35)
- Own manufacture hubs (cartridge bearings) & chain-rings
- The BullsEye crank arms/bottom-bracket (although it didn't have a good locking mechanism, like the modern Shimano,& kept working loose. Micro-splined shaft)

Not my bike in the pictures, but I never took any of the detail pictures

Pace Research RC100. 13.jpg Pace Research RC100. 2.jpg Pace Research RC100. 3.jpg Pace Research RC100. 4.jpg Pace Research RC100. 5.jpg Pace Research RC100. 6.jpg Pace Research RC100. 7.jpg Pace Research RC100. 8.jpg Pace Research RC100. 9.jpg Pace Research RC100. 10.jpg

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Of bikes that I had but no longer have (thieving scumbag) my Giant Yukon Enduro. Can't remember what year I had it but it was for lack of a better word...awesome.
Loved it to bits.

Giant Yukon 2 (13).jpg

Of bikes that worked without issue and had that "I really want to go for a ride" feeling, my old Dawes Vantage. She's sitting in the bathroom storage cupboard atm as frame only but I'm seriously thinking of getting her resprayed and rebuilding to her former glory. The current frame and fork despite nicer handling just don't have that "take me out and ride me" feeling.

009 copy.jpg

Brandane

Legendary Member
Not the best bike I've ever owned by a long shot, but the only one I've sold (well, gave away) and really regretted it - my first ever road bike, bought for me by my wife as a replacement for my knackered old commuting bike, a 1980s Puch Alpine. I loved that bike, still remember triumphantly getting back home from a modest 35 miles completely knackered when I started out :smile:

View attachment 104318
I had one of them in 1976; first bike I ever bought without parental assistance. I was 14 and it cost me £45, the total amount I earned in a summer holiday job for 2 months. It was stolen less than 2 years later, and recovered but had been trashed :sad:. I found one on ebay a few years ago which I bought and restored, but later decided it was surplus to requirements so handed it in to our local cancer charity shop. Here it is while in use:

IMG_1866_zpskgdlq5hi.jpg

Back on topic though, as the Puch was not the best bike I ever owned. That honour goes to my Specialized Tricross which is a great all rounder bike. It has commuted occasionally, and been used for day rides and touring. It has been on several trips to France, and this year has been to Orlando. I bought it new about 7 years ago and it has clocked up about 13500 miles so far, and still going strong. I would have another in a minute; it just does everything I want it to do and seems to "fit" better than any other bike. Cluttered photo, but there's a bike on tour in there somewhere:

DSC00739_zpsghfplkdf.jpg

ChrisEyles

Guru
@Brandane, seeing that brings back many happy memories - will never forget my first few rides on my first "proper racer" :smile: Some day I shall get hold of another one and do it up as a SS or fixed gear. Liking the tricross too!

Jamieyorky

Veteran
As a kid, has to be my Gt dyno or gt power series pro bmx's.

As a Adult, probably the bike i own now, my Cube agree gct sl 2015.

Top Bottom