Your biggest climb?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craven2354

I set off this morning to achieve this years goal a 33mile trip over holmfirth road and then back down the a6024 then onto the a628 'and back home I know it is a big hill but I have had this goal since January I got half way up holmfirth road when I just had to stop there was no way I would make it to the top after around 200ft and 5 more stops I decided to turn round as I wouldn't be able to climb it. According to my cyclemeter app I climbed around 680ft within one and a half miles and I just couldn't give any more

I'm wondering what the biggest hill you have accomplished?

rowdin

Terence david
Here in Colchester Essex, the only thing even close to a hill is riding over a drunk squady. :cycle: Shame though it would be nice to have a couple of nice hills to climb as i've never been over a big hill before.Well done for trying craven.

I wish we could export a few.
It is definitely an acquired skill. Well, I hope it can be acquired, 'cos I ain't quite got it yet.
The climb out of Holmfirth over Woodhead will trouble some cars.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well done for trying indeed. This is a ride I have never done, I somethimes do the run from Ashton over to Holmfirth then straight back as it is a straightforward steady climb in both directions but the climb over Holme Moss is almost legendary and although I have been tempted I have never made the effort to tackle it.

I think you should concentrate on getting to Holmfirth and back before you consider taking on the Holme Moss 'lump'!

OP
OP
craven2354

craven2354

Well done for trying indeed. This is a ride I have never done, I somethimes do the run from Ashton over to Holmfirth then straight back as it is a straightforward steady climb in both directions but the climb over Holme Moss is almost legendary and although I have been tempted I have never made the effort to tackle it.

I think you should concentrate on getting to Holmfirth and back before you consider taking on the Holme Moss 'lump'!

Holmfirth is on the other side of the hill I was climbing it was where I was going to turn :smile:

gb155

Fan Boy No More.

Holme moss is great Skol

;):biggrin:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1345296014303.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345296014303.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 55

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hi Craven, I guess the mileage you had planned meant you probably live somewhere close to me in Tameside? Your planned loop would involve 3 climbs, 1st from Greenfield over to Holmfirth then the killer climb over Holme Moss which drops you onto the Woodhead Rd so you can ride back through Tintwistle and Hollingworth to the foot of the final, smaller climb upto Mottram Cutting before finally dropping back down to Stalybridge.

If you want to try again with company let me know and I'll try to join you, a week day would be especially good as I often work weekends. Just go for an out and back run to Holmfirth first without looping around over Holme Moss.

OP
OP
craven2354

craven2354

Hi Craven, I guess the mileage you had planned meant you probably live somewhere close to me in Tameside? Your planned loop would involve 3 climbs, 1st from Greenfield over to Holmfirth then the killer climb over Holme Moss which drops you onto the Woodhead Rd so you can ride back through Tintwistle and Hollingworth to the foot of the final, smaller climb upto Mottram Cutting before finally dropping back down to Stalybridge.

If you want to try again with company let me know and I'll try to join you, a week day would be especially good as I often work weekends. Just go for an out and back run to Holmfirth first without looping around over Holme Moss.

I live near tameside hospital and are you telling me after the climb past dovestones there is a bigger one on the other side? Haha

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
From Port Talbot to the top of Bwlch Mountain is aboput 500 meters over 13 miles. Its quite a frustrating climb as it keeps dropping down a bit in the lower stages then about 4 miles from the top it gets steeper and goes into some big hairpin bends. Theres a flat mile or so across the top of the mountain ,feels like you are riding across the top of the world.

012-7.jpg

OP
OP
craven2354

craven2354

From Port Talbot to the top of Bwlch Mountain is aboput 500 meters over 13 miles. Its quite a frustrating climb as it keeps dropping down a bit in the lower stages then about 4 miles from the top it gets steeper and goes into some big hairpin bends. Theres a flat mile or so across the top of the mountain ,feels like you are riding across the top of the world.

012-7.jpg

Haha loving the sheep :smile:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Holme moss is great Skol

;):biggrin:

I have never been up Holme Moss, is it a steep one or a long drag?

Mottram is barely a notable hill if its the road I am thinking off. I ride over Woodhead and back regular, just because its sort of lumpy but I can get it over and done with quickly without really pushing it.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I have never been up Holme Moss, is it a steep one or a long drag?

Mottram is barely a notable hill if its the road I am thinking off. I ride over Woodhead and back regular, just because its sort of lumpy but I can get it over and done with quickly without really pushing it.
Bit of both tbh rob

Top Bottom