Your biggest climb?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Mottram is barely a notable hill if its the road I am thinking off. I ride over Woodhead and back regular, just because its sort of lumpy but I can get it over and done with quickly without really pushing it.

You're right, Mottram doesn't really count next to the other two but for a novice it is still a daunting task, especially if you have just near killed yourself doing all the climbing of Holme Moss and you are running on empty when you reach the Gun Inn at Hollingworth. Incidently, if you only go as far as Mottrom then drop towards Hyde you haven't done the full climb. The full height is if you fork right towards Stalybridge and climb to the cutting at the Roe Cross pub (or even the Old Road that goes behind/above the pub and the cutting).

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You're right, Mottram doesn't really count next to the other two but for a novice it is still a daunting task, especially if you have just near killed yourself doing all the climbing of Holme Moss and you are running on empty when you reach the Gun Inn at Hollingworth. Incidently, if you only go as far as Mottrom then drop towards Hyde you haven't done the full climb. The full height is if you fork right towards Stalybridge and climb to the cutting at the Roe Cross pub (or even the Old Road that goes behind/above the pub and the cutting).

Unsure of this bit, I think I may have taken the cutting behind the pub (is this quite a steep bit?). Ended up on a steep backstreet one time over that way, crawling up on my fixed with 85" gear and a woman and her little girl overtook me on foot, lol.

endoman

After riding Etape acte 2 this year nothing here seems like a hill. Typically my rides in the Peak are 1000 feet climb per 10 miles, even heading to the flatlands east of me there are still some decent lumps. I do quite enjoy them now

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
My pb on Mottram is about 6 mins, or strava top 15,however my first go was a full 20mins plus, so for a novice, it's a monster :biggrin:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My biggest climb was on holiday in Spain in June. And it was also my favourite ride to date! Even though I had to leave at 6am for it due to the heat :smile:

6,605ft in 56.6mi. First half uphill and then the long rewarding down hill for the second half

Didn't quite manage any KOMs though
That's the Col de Rates isn't it? I used to do that climb every year on my spring Costa Blanca cycling holiday. I liked going in early March when the weather was crap here but typically sunny and 17-25 C there.

yello

I'm sure there's someone on here that's done a climb in the Alps or Pyrenees... that must be all of the biggest, longest and highest in one go.

For myself, I genuinely don't know. I'd guess it'd be one of the climbs I did in Corsica but I don't have any stats. I know I was on a panniered-up mtb and would have stopped 2 or 3 times on the way up though!

I'm sure there's someone on here that's done a climb in the Alps or Pyrenees... that must be all of the biggest, longest and highest in one go.

Ahem I refer you to my earlier post:tongue:,

Also did the I'zoard and Vars in one day, 7388 ft of climbing over 34.8 miles but 10 miles of that was descent.

day5-11.jpg

Longest would have to be the Lautaret from Le Clapier at 21 miles gaining 4304 ft

day4-10.jpg

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

Also did the I'zoard and Vars in one day, 7388 ft of climbing over 34.8 miles but 10 miles of that was descent.

day5-11.jpg

Longest would have to be the Lautaret from Le Clapier at 21 miles gaining 4304 ft

day4-10.jpg
Great pictures OFF, shame that ugly prat had to keep sticking himself in front of the camera when you were taking them.

Great pictures OFF, shame that ugly prat had to keep sticking himself in front of the camera when you were taking them.
Ah well, you know, ugly prats get everywhere, photographs.........forums.....:rolleyes:

Well impressed - Ive done Isere and Galibere in the same day - but I did start from Val D - in my defense tho I did have proper panniers rather than those tiddlers you use ^_^

Biggest recent climb was from Canyon Resort at 6800ft to the Wasatch trail which peaks at 10450ft in Utah. Just over 3600ft straight up, but I took 20 miles to get there with a few 1000ft climbs and drops along the way, all on the dirt. I only had one day to acclimate from the 135ft above sea level I live at, and so found the last 1000ft really tough.

The last ten miles in which I dropped the whole 3600ft were a bleeding hoot. :hyper:

theFire

Veteran
That's the Col de Rates isn't it? I used to do that climb every year on my spring Costa Blanca cycling holiday. I liked going in early March when the weather was crap here but typically sunny and 17-25 C there.

Thats the one. Enjoyed cycling in Spain, the motorists knew how to drive around cyclists!

Probably a good idea going before the weather gets too hot. When I left at 6am it was already 23c and climbed to 29c while I was out. Luckily the climbing was the first half of the ride while it was a bit cooler :smile:

albion

Guru
Anyone here tackled Great Dunn Fell?
It is just out of my day ride range but methinks has to be done.

It climbs 2260 feet in 9km (about 6 mile) averaging 7.7%

Eddie

There is no way I would ever give up on a climb, no way, no how. I've never done anything as impressive as the alps, but I usually manage 2,500ft+ of climbing per 20 miles of riding, or on occasion I will do hill repeats, which would be a lot more on some tough (20%+ gradient) hills.

Top Bottom