Your biggest climb?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
My biggest climb is up the stairs to bed after a few drams of whisky. Don't know how I manage it sometimes. I'm going to attempt it soon, wish me luck.

Chrisc

Guru
My biggest this year was weekend before last and included Holme Moss from Glossop end. First time I've tried that direction and I prefer the other way up. Ride had 3100ft climbing in 26 miles, was unplanned and before my breakfast, idiot that I am...

Round here it seems to average 100ft per mile. Does this mean that the real climb is 200ft per mile as half of it has to be down?

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Getting up my drive is a right sweat.:heat:
100411 003.jpg

Rob500

Biggest single climb I've done is 580 ft over 2.43 miles.
Most I've done over a single ride is 1834 ft over 38.2 miles.

Svendo

Guru
Tourmalet (from Sainte-Marie de Campan) and Hautacam on 2008 etape.
Edmund Hautacam 2008.jpg
Here I am on the way up Hautacam. Despite it being July in S. France it'd been British weather, damp and misty. Unlike a lot of riders I'd come prepared and was glad of the bibknicks and overshoes. Still froze waiting to descend back to the finish village. Don't know why I was so cheerful, as I was in quite a lot of discomfort at this point!

oldroadman

Veteran
My biggest climb is up the stairs to bed after a few drams of whisky. Don't know how I manage it sometimes. I'm going to attempt it soon, wish me luck.
^_^
Ventoux in the grupetto. Galibier in the grupetto. Tourmalet in the grupetto. Almost any of the big climbs in the grupetto, while those little Spanish and South American guys are giving it large up front. It always feels like a long old plod, lightened by the company, still at least you get the odd push when you're 20 minutes down, and that's only in one week races!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Tourmalet (from Sainte-Marie de Campan) and Hautacam on 2008 etape.
View attachment 11788
Here I am on the way up Hautacam. Despite it being July in S. France it'd been British weather, damp and misty. Unlike a lot of riders I'd come prepared and was glad of the bibknicks and overshoes. Still froze waiting to descend back to the finish village. Don't know why I was so cheerful, as I was in quite a lot of discomfort at this point!
Because you always smile? :whistle:

I've seen you ride in some foul conditions and that cheeky grin is omnipresent! :thumbsup:

Crimmey

oooo biggest climb .....7361ft in 20.4 miles, I had the KOM on it too :sad: not anymore. I'll have to go back and reclaim it!

http://app.strava.com/rides/3069555#53899787

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I wish we could export a few.
It is definitely an acquired skill. Well, I hope it can be acquired, 'cos I ain't quite got it yet.
The climb out of Holmfirth over Woodhead will trouble some cars.

True - but that's my Saturday morning run (won't be doing it until 8th Sept now though!). Then back up Windle Edge through Catshaw and to Royd Moor nurseries cafe to finish the first half of the run.

I set off this morning to achieve this years goal a 33mile trip over holmfirth road and then back down the a6024 then onto the a628 'and back home I know it is a big hill but I have had this goal since January I got half way up holmfirth road when I just had to stop there was no way I would make it to the top after around 200ft and 5 more stops I decided to turn round as I wouldn't be able to climb it. According to my cyclemeter app I climbed around 680ft within one and a half miles and I just couldn't give any more

Keep going - I struggled doing it in March this year but now it's OK. Where are you setting off from? - happy to coax you along one morning.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Bealach na Ba, from the Applecross side, after refuelling on chips and cake at the inn.
We stopped a few times for a breather (and to swear at morons coming down not giving us enough room!), but we did not walk any of it.

Small potatoes by the standards of some of the climbs above, but we were proud of ourselves! Must try it from the harder side sometime...

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I took the old Roadster, complete with bell, up and over the Malverns. Upton to British Camp, Jubilee Drive to The Chase Inn, up to the Wyche cutting, then back to Upton. Slow but satisfactory!

Top Bottom