Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Duc gas

Über Member
Boo taking a welcome rest outside Chester cathedral today - wow it was so quiet

Attachments

• B7EABDE5-89DD-49AA-BC24-9677451ED982.jpeg
    B7EABDE5-89DD-49AA-BC24-9677451ED982.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 2
  • BC669A4A-B039-4B04-B5EB-A36CC06BFC7A.jpeg
    BC669A4A-B039-4B04-B5EB-A36CC06BFC7A.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1
Saint Mary Magdalene, East Ham.
Gets an entire chapter to itself in Dan Cruickshank's recent book of London walks, which is what lead to me it on my lockdown exercise ride.
12th century, supposedly has the largest churchyard of any church in London.
Churchyard been a nature reserve since about 1977, which is quite early for that sort of thing I think.

Had the idea that it was grade 2 listed, but this says grade 1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mary_Magdalene's_Church,_East_Ham

Last edited:

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Church of St Catherine, The Leigh, Gloucestershire.
This is the last of the churches in the seven towers benefice which I've been riding to recently. The other 6 can be seen in my past pics here, the church at Deerhurst is not one of the group.
See http://seventowers.org.uk/ for those interested.
@Grant Fondo this another grade one listed church and has its own brown sign, if you ever do get to Deerhurst which you've put on your 'to see' list you could do this one at the same time, in fact you could do all the churches I've posted here, they are all within a fairly short distance of each other.

Saint Georges in the East London.

From the back - too cramped to get a good shot of the front.

Hawksmoor.

Hit by a firebomb in WW11 and burned out (God's way of telling us we were on the wrong side?) - sat as a shell for a quarter of a century and then a very nice (to me) modern church created inside - very airy.

Nice green around it in a very ungreen area - few folk relaxing in the lockdown sunshine in odd spots - properly self isolating. Worth checking out - very close to the Cable Street mural.

Top Bottom