Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Saint Georges in the East London.

From the back - too cramped to get a good shot of the front.

Hawksmoor.

Hit by a firebomb in WW11 and burned out (God's way of telling us we were on the wrong side?) - sat as a shell for a quarter of a century and then a very nice (to me) modern church created inside - very airy.

Nice green around it in a very ungreen area - few folk relaxing in the lockdown sunshine in odd spots - properly self isolating. Worth checking out - very close to the Cable Street mural.

View attachment 517496
Lovely! One of Hawsmoor's best. The 60s church inside is a bit weird, i used to visit regularly when i worked on the redevelopment of the Old Mint up the road. A jewel in the middle of all the crud buildings in Wapping.

Church of St Catherine, The Leigh, Gloucestershire.
This is the last of the churches in the seven towers benefice which I've been riding to recently. The other 6 can be seen in my past pics here, the church at Deerhurst is not one of the group.
See http://seventowers.org.uk/ for those interested.
@Grant Fondo this another grade one listed church and has its own brown sign, if you ever do get to Deerhurst which you've put on your 'to see' list you could do this one at the same time, in fact you could do all the churches I've posted here, they are all within a fairly short distance of each other.
View attachment 517330
I certainly will. Big fan of Gloucester Cathedral as well, not visited for 15 years and due a revisit soon. So many great buildings, so little time :okay:

Lovely! One of Hawsmoor's best. The 60s church inside is a bit weird, i used to visit regularly when i worked on the redevelopment of the Old Mint up the road. A jewel in the middle of all the crud buildings in Wapping.
Worth a look at the tower its so good :okay:

As we are on the subject, and apologies no bike in the foreground! One of the best I have visited, Eliel Saarinen church in Indiana, 1942 so only handful of churches built around this time. Not everyones cup of tea but a real masterpiece, so tranquil inside.
View attachment 517582

View attachment 517584
Interesting, so you are forgiven the lack of a bike.
Would never have guessed that was in the states.
European architect?

Duc gas

Über Member
What a coincidence! Love to stop off in Chester, especially by the river 👍

Top Bottom