Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lovely! One of Hawsmoor's best. The 60s church inside is a bit weird, i used to visit regularly when i worked on the redevelopment of the Old Mint up the road. A jewel in the middle of all the crud buildings in Wapping.
Surely a lot of interesting buildings in that area?
Are you talking of the period when the area was very rundown?
(I've been in london long enough to remember when no one seemed to get off at Wapping station and Wapping High Street was dusty deserted)

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

MBIFO Little Billing Church on t'other days ride..

Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Camberwell.
With a name like that Catholic of course.
Discovered on a bike wander round a very quiet south london enjoying spring greenery and kinda looking for another church (dodgy) i have found before - that will follow in time.
Tricky to get a pic of because of the tight site cornered by a road and a railway line.
Thought it looked interesting and turns out my architecturally stupid mind was right.
Modern (of course) following a post-blitz rebuild and it is Grade2 listed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Sacred_Heart,_Camberwell
with a very recent pic, so recent it seems to show the closed for virus sign on the door.
Heathens like me can usually spot catholic churches because of the orgasmic or tortured statuary stuck to them but this church seems odd in that it doesn't seem to have any - hence the christ in a box I suppose which seems to have been put there as an afterthought to satisfy traditionalists.
If you look up the location on google streetview, the devishly clever software seems to have blanked out christ's face, as it does with passers by.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.474...4!1sID-l7qbxuZOUd_6rIgEh0Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

PS - no my bike isn't leaning against the car.

figbat

Slippery scientist
East Hendred. No doubt @EltonFrog has already done this one!

C8D36331-C6E3-4288-ADD1-AE2F809F695D.jpeg

Top Bottom