Your bike not your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Every once in a while, I feel that my bike is not my bike.

It's a bike that I've ridden for the past several days but somehow on this day, the tyres feel funny - kind of semi deflated. Stop and check and they're rock solid.

Then the pedalling - I'm pedalling in the normal gears and with my normal cadence, but there isn't that usual feedback that one gets from the pedals and the drivetrain.

Finally, the handling feels numb and out of control.

The day after this weird feeling day, all feels normal again.

Anyone else get this feeling or it just me?

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I got that feeling once when I rode a bike I borrowed from my mate.

Strick

Funny you should mention that, my bike hasn't felt 'right' this week. I came to the conclusion that my situation was down to having not ridden to the biggest part of two weeks, maybe it is me that isn't 'right' rather than the bike!

Col5632

Guru
I get that feeling sometimes, tyres do feel soft when pedalling and then i check and they are rock solid :angry:

Maybe its just my lack of effort lol :blush:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
it is a strange sensation. I get it sometimes with my commute bike. As what someone else posted, sometimes I get the feeling that the rear wheel is loosing pressure but it isn't and that gears seem to be wrong.

OP
OP
Moodyman

Moodyman

Legendary Member
it is a strange sensation. I get it sometimes with my commute bike. As what someone else posted, sometimes I get the feeling that the rear wheel is loosing pressure but it isn't and that gears seem to be wrong.

Glad I'm not the only one Ian. And yes, it usually happens to me on my commute bike.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
you are not alone
thumbsup.png

I think the explanation is that we are so used to our bikes that we don't think about what they are doing. We become one with the bike. Something must then knock something from our subconscious that wakes us up to the fact that we are indeed riding a bike and it becomes alien to what we are used to.

Ooo eerr missus, does that make sense?

OP
OP
Moodyman

Moodyman

Legendary Member
you are not alone
thumbsup.png

I think the explanation is that we are so used to our bikes that we don't think about what they are doing. We become one with the bike. Something must then knock something from our subconscious that wakes us up to the fact that we are indeed riding a bike and it becomes alien to what we are used to.

Faints as explanation too scientific for brain to comprehend.:ohmy:

Yeah I know what you mean. Cycling is no natural that we don't usually think about it. When we do, it kinda feels odd.

apollo179

you are not alone
thumbsup.png

Move over sigmund freud theres a new kid in town.

Bicycle

I get that feeling sometimes.

The first indication is usually when the hacksaw begins to stick in the lock.

Alternatively when the bolt cutters seem to stick a little just before that satisfying "Pa-Dingg!" when the shaft of the lock shears.

Best if the bike has a QR on the seat post. That way you can set it up as if it's yours. It attracts less attention and a clean getaway is more likely.

Sorry... Did I get the wrong end of the stick here? I'll get my coat. :rolleyes:

PS. Don't you hate it when you've gone to all the trouble of acquiring a new bicycle and it turns out the owner hasn't been looking after it properly?

apollo179

I get that feeling sometimes.

The first indication is usually when the hacksaw begins to stick in the lock.

Alternatively when the bolt cutters seem to stick a little just before that satisfying "Pa-Dingg!" when the shaft of the lock shears.

Best if the bike has a QR on the seat post. That way you can set it up as if it's yours. It attracts less attention and a clean getaway is more likely.

Sorry... Did I get the wrong end of the stick here? I'll get my coat. :rolleyes:

PS. Don't you hate it when you've gone to all the trouble of acquiring a new bicycle and it turns out the owner hasn't been looking after it properly?

:thumbsup:

Hip Priest

Veteran
What ianruk said.

It's the same with anything that comes naturally. If you start thinking about it, it feels different.

Top Bottom