Your birth town.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
^ anywhere near the West Somerset Railway ?
About 100 yards away, look over it to the beach!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
49 years ago today in Burton Upon Trent, home of Bass
NewStEntrance.jpg

Colin_P

Guru
Funny - no substantive reports of any such riot....

Funny, so was the secret diary of Adrian Mole aged 13 and 3/4's.

Now as was then, certain news gets whitewashed and sanitised, any reasonably minded person could think that there might be agendas for the same, especially when cultural enrichment doesn't enrich in the way intended.

Besides it was in an almost pre internet age, but I assume you have had a look and found something hence the no substantive comment.

Born and bred in Brentwood, Essex. Enjoyed sporting success with the town's cricket and rugby teams and still have many friends from those days.

Travelling took over in search of greener grass (amongst other things) and visited/lived in many fine towns, cities and countries. Currently in Oslo (it ain't greener here) but don't want to live here longer than necessary, although I'll probably end up in Norway (but for no more than 6-7 months a year as I can't hack the winters).

Also born and raised in Slough, even lived there having bought our first flat and house there. It certainly coloured my world view.

What broke the straw was watching part of the multi-culti (Sikh) on multi-culti (Muslim) riots out of my kitchen window back 1997, although it had been bubbling for a few years previously with smaller outbreaks of voiolence.

It was not a place we wanted our children to grow up in so we moved away in 1998, as have most other family members since.

I still think of it as home though.

That certainly reminds me of Springsteens 'My Hometown'

Slough, didn't Betjemen write about it?
http://www-cdr.stanford.edu/intuition/Slough.html

Roseburg, Oregon, USA. I've never lived there. It simply had both of the only (two) hospitals in Douglas County, and I was born in one of them. I grew up 30 miles to the north (in a small town, population 1000, which I consider my "home town", on the border with Lane County, which had a university and a shopping mall). By comparison with Eugene (no, even objectively speaking, no comparisons needed), Roseburg was backwards and boring*.

It's a totally different place, 50 years on. The link isn't kidding. Roseburg is pretty amazing these days and most of my family now live there or within a few miles' commuting distance. And of course, Oregon is absolute paradise for anyone interested in outdoorsy pursuits of all kinds.

* And it's still a pocket of red neck. It may be the only town in the USA to experience a mass shooting where the local response was to protest President Obama's visit for fear he'd talk about gun control.

Last edited:

GM

Legendary Member
Roseburg, Oregon, USA. I've never lived there. It simply had both of the only (two) hospitals in Douglas County, and I was born in one of them. I grew up 30 miles to the north (in a small town, population 1000, which I consider my "home town", on the border with Lane County, which had a university and a shopping mall. By comparison with Eugene (no, even objectively speaking, no comparisons needed), Roseburg was backwards and boring*. It's a totally different place, 50 years on. The link isn't kidding. Roseburg is pretty amazing these days and most of my family now live there or within a few miles' commuting distance. And of course, Oregon is absolute paradise for anyone interested in outdoorsy pursuits of all kinds.

* And it's still a pocket of red neck. It may be the only town in the USA to experience a mass shooting where the local response was to protest President Obama's visit for fear he'd talk about gun control.

We drove through there on our way to Crater Lake. Absolutely stunning.

Top Bottom