Your commute -in pictures?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Maz said:
I love flyfishing and that looks wonderful. Which river is it? Did you see him catch any trout or greyling?
Its the River Alre - about here. Unfortunately, I believe most of the fishing is private. I couldn't hang around 'cause I had to get home for the school pickup, but if you look down from the bridges you can usually see the trout. The River Test is also on a lot of my rides - that's amazing for trout, but there's very little if any public access.

Maz

Guru
Bollo said:
Unfortunately, I believe most of the fishing is private. I couldn't hang around 'cause I had to get home for the school pickup, but if you look down from the bridges you can usually see the trout. The River Test is also on a lot of my rides - that's amazing for trout, but there's very little if any public access.
Shame about it being private. Most of my fishing is on commercial waters (Rutland or Thornton Res.) and occasionally on the River Welland. Crafty buggers those trout - sometime you can drop the fly right in front of their noses and they still won't take it!

Maz

Guru
ianrauk said:
Talking of flyfishing,
on my commute I go through LadyWell fields between Catford and Lewsham, during the summer, a couple of mornings each week I saw a chap practicing his flyfishing cast in one of the fields
Been there, done that ;). I went to the local park, using a ball of cotton wool instead of a fly - and at the crack of dawn so no one thought I was a mentalist fishing in the middle of a field.;)

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Beautiful. And there's some nice property there as well.

I tried to get some pics of some of the chocolate-box thatched houses on my route, but every one had a scowling biddie leaning on the gate on the day I took my camera. I never had the guts to ask them if it was ok.

OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well, thanks for the kind comments. I'm pretty lucky, I have roads mostly to myself, and certainly when I cycle in early in the morning, I often can go 5-8 miles stretches and see only a handful of cars. Add on to that my commute really goes through some pretty areas.

One thing I am proud of is my commuting bike -I've really been enjoying it recently. I think the entire setup has cost around 250 quid -and that's not counting the fact I had the wheelset and brakeset already. I built both of those wheels myself, and did all the other mechanicking as well -the frame was just that -a frame. I was patient for some online deals for components as well as using Ebay judiciously (e.g. Gripshift shifters were about ten quid including shipping and were brand new!). For about 250 quid complete I think it's a bargain and a very nice commuting or touring bike.

So..... anyone else want to put up a blog or similar with a pictorial representation of their commute? I'd love to see what other people have.

Maz

Guru
Great pictures, Nigeyy. That big house is yours? Lucky man.
Do you ever see other cyclists? I get the impression that they're all car-mad over there. No one ever seems to walk (drive-thru shops/banks/etc).

OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
None of those pictures are of my house :biggrin:

Surprizingly, when I was taking the pictures, I saw more cyclists than I'd ever had, but perhaps it was due to me leaving at a popular time (i.e. around 5:00pm). However, none of the cyclists looked like they were commuters, more just cyclists out for a training ride on road bikes. I'm not sure that people over here are really that worse than people in the UK -it seems if you give some people access to a car, they apparently lose all walking ability and physical mobility. I do know people who drive to get coffee within a couple of hundred yards -sad, but true. The only drive thru's I've seen here are banks and fast food places -when I was in Australia, they had a drive thru liquor store as well!

If you look carefully at the bike picture and click on it, you might see some stickers on the car that might make you smile.

Maz said:
Great pictures, Nigeyy. That big house is yours? Lucky man.
Do you ever see other cyclists? I get the impression that they're all car-mad over there. No one ever seems to walk (drive-thru shops/banks/etc).

Maz

Guru
I misunderstood you, nigeyy...:biggrin:
Also pictured is my "haunted house". It's been on the market for ages -and looks very run down! Even so, since it is in Weston, it's probably worth quite a bit.

OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Hooray, after a 3 month "hiatus" from paid employment I'm back to the daily grind.

OK, I admit, on the job interviews I would wonder "what's the bike commute like?" Fortunately I came out well -the commute is 8 miles each way on reasonable roads -in fact it's actually shorter than my old commute.

Here we go, some photos from Tuesday:

9571707877_63f59bb8ff_b.jpg

Start of the commute back home......

9574504084_44b5d719d0_b.jpg

This is actually about a one mile straight.

9571707311_113e2bf925_b.jpg

Same road, this minivan had just overtaken me and was taking a left.

9574503548_8ab650fe32_b.jpg

Yup, I commute on Route 135, Needham Massachusetts. This is the busiest part of the commute -while it looks quiet, it usually is a bit trafficky.

9571706741_07cdd794f5_b.jpg

Same road a bit farther down -nice overtake by that car by the way (he did have plenty of time to pull in as that oncoming car was further away than it looks in the photo).

9571706511_9c7987ed25_b.jpg

I cross over the Charles River on Route 135 -this flows from the 'burbs into Boston harbour. I usually see ducks (and when I do I can't help but call out "quack, quack") but sadly none in this photo.

9571706251_4322ba0645_b.jpg
This is the bridge where the previous photo was taken.

9574502542_97c97dbd02_b.jpg

Prettier part of my commute -this a road that cuts across from Route 135.

9574502244_628c686478_b.jpg

Side view as I was cycling along.....

Top Bottom