Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Cycling to work this morning I rode past a female muntjac. I was about 2' away from her.
She just did the 'I'll pretend I'm not here' pose.
I didnt' realise they have poor longer range eyesight, their world is in front of their nose so's to speak. I guess if you were approaching silently, they don't particually sense your imminent arrival. I'e seen deer in similar (although not that close) circumstances.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I didnt' realise they have poor longer range eyesight, their world is in front of their nose so's to speak. I guess if you were approaching silently, they don't particually sense your imminent arrival. I'e seen deer in similar (although not that close) circumstances.

Maybe my cateye 800 dazzled it?

potsy

Rambler
Grey Wagtail in the garden today, a rare visitor to a small urban garden I would have thought?

20171211121736_IMG_3437.JPG

Whilst I was doing the washing up this morning I thought I noticed a bird which I didn't quite recognise at the bird table. It was difficult getting a picture of it as it wouldn't stay long. Just enough time to pick my camera up before it flew off again. I did manage to get a few pictures and they look like Coal Tits.
I've never seen them before.
IMGP6682.JPG

Attachments

• IMGP6687.JPG
    IMGP6687.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMGP6684.JPG
    IMGP6684.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 44

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Grey Wagtail in the garden today, a rare visitor to a small urban garden I would have thought?

View attachment 386913

Once you get to know the call of the Grey Wagtail, its surprising how often you hear it in towns in the winter. They spend the summer around here in the hills but leave in Sep/Oct. Some go to the coast, but some eke out a living in urban and suburban environments

I'm sure the cold snap has pushed it into looking for food in your garden. Lovely bird to see

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Whilst I was doing the washing up this morning I thought I noticed a bird which I didn't quite recognise at the bird table. It was difficult getting a picture of it as it wouldn't stay long. Just enough time to pick my camera up before it flew off again. I did manage to get a few pictures and they look like Coal Tits.
I've never seen them before. View attachment 387219

Coal Tits are interesting. On my feeder, Great Tits and Blue Tits will happily take a sunflower seed and sit on a branch next to the feeder to eat it. Coal Tits never do this. Take a seed and immediately fly off somewhere secluded to eat it. They only spend 2-3 seconds actually on the feeder

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I've never seen them before. View attachment 387219

Great little birds and their jizz is very conspicuous: Like you say, they are very energetic and it can be hard to take a photo.

I clocked a nuthatch the other day. Not entirely unusual in itself, but it was foraging along a stone wall. Normally they are up in the old, gnarly trees and conifers.

potsy

Rambler
Weirdly I also noticed a couple of coal tits the other day, got a bit excited as I often do when it's another new one (to my garden)

Tried for a while to get a good pic, like the other tits they don't stay still for long.

Anyway, as I was looking through a few of my older pics I noticed I had already photographed them ages ago, I must have thought they were Great Tits at the time :rolleyes:

My garden has quite a collection of regulars now :okay:

delb0y

Legendary Member
No photos, but today must be buzzard day. The first one, a huge beauty, came over the hedge to my left and flew along the road just in front of me for thirty yards, gentle flapping it's huge wings and then gliding. It rose up and then settled in a tree and watched me cycle by. Beautiful creature. Then about a mile later another (or maybe the same one) flew gentle over my shoulder and circled above me for twenty seconds or so. I do like a buzzard.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Coal Tits are interesting. On my feeder, Great Tits and Blue Tits will happily take a sunflower seed and sit on a branch next to the feeder to eat it. Coal Tits never do this. Take a seed and immediately fly off somewhere secluded to eat it. They only spend 2-3 seconds actually on the feeder

There's research about Coal tits caching food. So they may not be eating the sunflower seed somewhere secluded. Instead they're wedging it under bark or something to store it for another time.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Another small Dragon from the Welsh forests. The head-crest (which is shed each autumn and regrows the following spring) identifies this individual as a male. Approximately 20cm long and very elusive.

726C6BF8-70BF-460E-BBE1-37962E62D0F9.jpeg

(This is a great account to follow on Twitter. Just in case you suspect otherwise, I am not the artist)

Top Bottom