Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Another small Dragon from the Welsh forests. The head-crest (which is shed each autumn and regrows the following spring) identifies this individual as a male. Approximately 20cm long and very elusive.

View attachment 387833

(This is a great account to follow on Twitter. Just in case you suspect otherwise, I am not the artist)
Are you trying to make us believe Wales is a real country?

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Another crap owl photo. This time a barn owl on Burwell Fen, in Cambs, near Newmarket - just down the road from me.
I'd just fixed yet another another bloomin' puncture and was cursing coming out for a ride, but an owl always makes everything worth the effort. She/ he flew right over me.

I'll bring a proper camera out with me one day!

IMG_2580.JPG

Last edited:
I saw these birds in the garden yesterday and was wondering if they might be Ring Ouzels. Sorry about the poor pictures as they were very skittish.

There have been some strange Fieldfare sounds coming from neighbouring gardens.

Attachments

• IMGP6758.JPG
    IMGP6758.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMGP6755.JPG
    IMGP6755.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMGP6737.JPG
    IMGP6737.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 44

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I saw these birds in the garden yesterday and was wondering if they might be Ring Ouzels. Sorry about the poor pictures as they were very skittish.

There have been some strange Fieldfare sounds coming from neighbouring gardens.

I think they're just female Blackbirds. I think a Ring Ouzel would have edge patterns on its breast feathers - it makes the feathers look like scales.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
From a few days ago; Mrs Poacher making friends with a splendid male Chaffinch in Madeira. From previous visits to this site (Balcoes, near Ribeiro Frio), I knew they were very tame, so took a few slices of wholemeal bread, and ended up handing out pieces to several other tourists so they could get similar shots. Also saw a male Firecrest, but failed to photograph it - sorry!
20171229_112908.jpg

Bonus pic of a basking lizard, slightly out of focus:
DSCN0948.JPG

No pics but every evening squadrons of geese fly over my house towards the estuary mudflats. I see them flying back inland when I go to work in the morning. There must be at least a couple of thousand of them. The sight and sounds are spectacular.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I often see a flash of a white rumped songbird disappearing into the hedgerow when I'm cycling the lanes in the winter. I think they're probably bullfinches but I'm not sure as I haven't spotted any pink breast colour.

More likely a chaffhinch.

Female bullfinch doesn't have the bright pink/red breast. Chaffinch has a greenish rump IIRC - certainly not white.

Top Bottom