Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philk56

Guru
Swan River?
Yes! South Perth, near the Como jetty.

Also managed to get a decent shot of a Black-winged Stilt:

2018-01-24.JPG

Last edited:

MikeG

Guru
Yes! South Perth.......

I watched Pelicans (and cormorants) there for many a long hour as a kid.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A treecreeper in the garden. Not uncommon bird but very unobtrusive so the first I've seen here

Just back from Oz...the most amazing wildlife sight by far was the awakening from roost in the trees of about a thousand Grey Headed Flying Foxes in an Adelaide park. Bats...with a wingspan of about one metre. A real spectacle, with them chattering away as they started to fly around at about 7pm

Not my photo, but this is what they look like:

latest?cb=20170430131327.jpg

MikeG

Guru
I was wading neck-deep in pitch darkness along Tunnel Creek in the Kimberley region of northern Western Australia some years ago when a huge wet leathery thing wrapped itself around my face. Turns out it was the bloated corpse of a giant fruit bat (flying fox), similar to the above, floating down the stream. Both my hands were occupied holding a rucksack on my head, and my brothers were too busy p---ing themselves laughing to help, so it took some time to disentangle myself. A few hundred yards later the roof of the tunnel had collapsed and there was an enormous colony of the bats hanging in a tree. Oh, happy days......

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
[QUOTE 5128904, member: 9609"]winter or spring song ? may be a little early for the change but won't be long away. Still winter song here[/QUOTE]
Oh, I don't think I can tell the difference. I shall have to listen harder next time.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I saw two Jay's and a green woodpecker yesterday on the way home from work!! Very pleased to see them!

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
According to nottsbirders there's a Spotted Sandpiper at the national watersports centre, about 4km away from me as the crow flies, and a damn sight longer as the cyclist rides. Also a young drake Long-tailed Duck and possibly a drake Smew in the same area. Haven't been to see any of them - will try to get there over the weekend, and keep a lookout for Hawfinches. Very little chance of photos; what do @User9609 and @potsy use, 'cos their pics are brilliant?

[edit: I've seen Spotsands in Antigua, thanks to my brother's keener senses , but never in UK]

Update: Sunday afternoon, excellent views of Spotsand but dipped out on the duck.
Made the mistake of going via a sodden Colwick Park, with the result that the Spa tourer now weighs about a Kg more than it did this morning. It's had the mud masque, now it needs the water treatment.

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I was told there were Little Owls near the beach so I've been out looking for them. No sign - I expect they're sheltering from the wind. But the next field along was full of Golden Plover all hunkered down facing into the wind. I didn't attempt to count them but I've seen a comment that the flock is about 2,000.

So worth a walk out anyway.

MikeG

Guru
Yesterday I saw a near-white buzzard.

I was on foot, and rounded a hedge to see a buzzard-shaped bird on the ground in a field about 30 metres away......but it had a head and neck so white that it looked like an African fish eagle. White tailed eagle? I wasn't familiar with those, being down in East Anglia. I watched it for some while, (naked eye.........I was walking the dog) and it eventually took off revealing a creamy white body, and pale but flecked wings. It was absolutely stunning, and I was able to catch up with it a few hundred yards on where it was sitting in a tree. It was definitely a buzzard, but a colour-variant I've not seen before. I've seen really dark buzzards, chocolatie-brown, but never anything like this. Anyone anywhere near Little Henny in Suffolk might want to keep their eyes open and a pair of binoculars to hand.

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
A sparrowhawk on two separate occasions in the last two days. The first, I was at the front of my house and it flashed past me, through the five bar gate the neighbours have, and landed about fifty yards away. Ten seconds later it flew off. The second, today, one hammered past me whilst I was out walking. They are incredibly agile and swift. Needless to say, no photos.

Top Bottom