Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
We were visited by a noisy solitary parakeet this morning. There are flocks on the common a couple of kilometres or so up the road but they are unusual in the garden.

View attachment 519586
I've been told there are feral parakeets in Birmingham but I've yet to see one. Apparently they're genetically identical to the ones in London so they seem to have made their way up the Grand Union canal or the railway line.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Is this one of the mystical Little Egrets? Seen on the River Orwell as it flows through Ipswich
P1000392.JPG

P1000395.JPG

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
We watched a magpie fly in to the back garden and noticed that he had a lump of what we presumed was bread .

He bounced over to the bird bath and dropped the bread in and seemed to push it around before flying off with it , he then came back 3 or 4 times doing the same .

Lovely to watch just couldn't get it on the camera^_^

Levo-Lon

Guru
We watched a magpie fly in to the back garden and noticed that he had a lump of what we presumed was bread .

He bounced over to the bird bath and dropped the bread in and seemed to push it around before flying off with it , he then came back 3 or 4 times doing the same .

Crows do that , they know a thing or two about cuisine:laugh:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member

Magpie has done just that at least 3 times this week - once with two corners of buttered sliced wholemeal. Kids feeding them surreptitiously under the picnic table? :rolleyes:
The NTU Peregrines haven't been very successful this year, looks like one egg which started hatching was ignored and died, one unusual completely brown egg failed completely, but they have one very fat and pampered carnivorous fluffball, which was amusing itself this morning stripping every last scrap of flesh from a pigeon leg.
https://www.nottinghamshirewildlife.org/peregrine-cam
On the brighter side, just had a visit from a small Greenfinch family, two youngsters being shown the ropes by two adults.

Katherine

Guru
I have put a seed feeder on my front railing so I can sit by the window and watch. Not got any good photos yet. It's mostly used by house sparrows. I have occasionally seen tree sparrows, blue tits, great tits, coal tits and a robin. The spillage on the wall, in the cracks and on the ground is enjoyed by all the sparrows who can't get a turn on the feeder, the robin, dunnocks, wood and feral pigeons and collared doves. Plus the occasional pheasant has been seen on the pavement side of the railings. They are all missing quite a bit that falls in the cracks because I am having to pull more weeds.
I am enjoying watching them all but particularly the power struggles amongst them all. I have also been fascinated to see a fledgling sparrow being fed by its parent,not just on the ground or in the adjoining hedge but hovering by the feeder as its parent sitting on the feeder turns to feed it. The neighbours have also being enjoying the entertainment, commenting on the way the birds swoop in from across the road.

Top Bottom