Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
20200614_134504.jpg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
An hour ago, I was flagged down by three young people staring at a bush...…"Look, it's a hummingbird…"
It had a body about 25-30 mm long and a long thin downward-curving proboscis thingy. It was quite a sight as it hovered next to some flowering plant. I just looked them up on Google. I think it was a Hummingbird hawk-moth from southern Europe.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've got to the age of 67 and I've never seen a woodpecker. I've heard plenty of them whilst wandering around the Chilterns but I've never seen one, and I had tried. Moved to East Devon/Dorset three weeks ago and not long after I saw what I think was a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker sitting in one of my oak trees. Quite small, and pattern not right for a Greater Spotted (I'm no expert!). But I digress. Today, look out the window and there's a Green Woodpecker sitting on my lawn.

Excuse the phone camera photo quality. It was a fair way away. I've now dug my Olympus DSLR and tripod out of storage and I'm on a mission to get some decent photos!

View attachment 529406
The best way to tell Lesser and Greater Spotted Woodpeckers apart is size. Greater are about the size of a Starling (if you can imagine that). Lesser are really tiny. They're about the size of a Sparrow

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I find taking photos with a phone camera of glow worms incredibly difficult. The light levels are an obvoius hurdle, then it only takes a tiny bit of grass or a leaf for the camera to focus on leaving the glow worm blurred. I’ve yet to take a decent one, but here’s a couple of blurry images from last night‘s sublime night ride around Wicken Fen, Cambs. My first glowing female of the season.

Also 3 barn owls, no end of deer and a curious bat who joined me on the ride for a few hundred yards at just above head height on Burwell Fen! All to the backdrop sound of reeling grasshopper warblers.

Top Bottom