Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Another early morning walk on the SWCP. Today I turned right...

male linnet

Rock Pipit (on a fence post!)

Whitethroat

Out of focus... Cirl Bunting

The local coastline is nationally important for Cirl Bunting.

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
A couple of hours mtb’ing in the Pentlands this morning provided quite a list of sightings, topped by a ring ouzel, only the third I’ve ever seen. The list also included cuckoo heard not seen, along with skylark, red grouse, stonechat, wheatear, meadow pipit, swallow, common sandpiper and dipper. I passed a bank of nesting sand martins but none seemed to be out in the drizzle.

philk56

Guru
Seen in passing on my morning bike ride yesterday. The gull was waiting patiently for any scraps - I didn't wait around to see if it ended up as dessert :unsure:

Proto

Legendary Member
I've got to the age of 67 and I've never seen a woodpecker. I've heard plenty of them whilst wandering around the Chilterns but I've never seen one, and I had tried. Moved to East Devon/Dorset three weeks ago and not long after I saw what I think was a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker sitting in one of my oak trees. Quite small, and pattern not right for a Greater Spotted (I'm no expert!). But I digress. Today, look out the window and there's a Green Woodpecker sitting on my lawn.

Excuse the phone camera photo quality. It was a fair way away. I've now dug my Olympus DSLR and tripod out of storage and I'm on a mission to get some decent photos!

Last edited:
Top Bottom