Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
A roe deer jumped out into the track about 10m in front of me today. I was climbing on gravel so not going very fast. It then disappeared into the woods and it (or another) started barking.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Bad times in Tit City. Yesterday afternoon, a magpie or cat came for one of the two surviving tits. Early, this morning, the cheeky chappie in post #3246 was carried away too, probably by the Burmese cat from six doors away. It's pitiful seeing and hearing the parents calling for their young, only to be met with silence. It's the third year that there have been no survivors. Maybe it's not a good idea to put up nest boxes in urban gardens.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Down on the river Avon in Devon this morning....

Cinclus cinclus to you....

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Out for a walk this afternoon and took a (very) long distance shot of a bird on Trimley nature reserve to see what it was - turned out to be just a swan, but looked closer and there was a heron hiding in the reeds
Walk -Saturday 30th May, Trimley Foreshore to Levington (4).JPG

Then, further up, nearer Levington Marina (one of four I saw in a small area, but the only one still enough to photograph)
Walk -Saturday 30th May, Trimley Foreshore to Levington (10).JPG

Hicky

Guru
@slowmotion the downside of an urban house for the songbirds might be cats etc however it’s usually a balance as there’s much more food to sustain the brood. Out in the sticks there’s a plethora of predators. The majority unseen ie stoats, weasels.
I think our brood might be down to a couple if my poor hearing is correct. I fitted a birdbath and another feeder in the hope it supports the young that’s about to be around, and maybe encourage them to stick around.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
@slowmotion the downside of an urban house for the songbirds might be cats etc however it’s usually a balance as there’s much more food to sustain the brood. Out in the sticks there’s a plethora of predators. The majority unseen ie stoats, weasels.
I think our brood might be down to a couple if my poor hearing is correct. I fitted a birdbath and another feeder in the hope it supports the young that’s about to be around, and maybe encourage them to stick around.
Food and drinkwise, they had all they could wish for. There are four feeders and plenty of vegetation for the parents to collect caterpillars from. The problem is the predators. Anyway, it's all over now.

Edit: perhaps that should be "It's all over now, Baby Blue".
[media]

]View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4HW33SgZlM[/media]

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Only one swallow this year so far although I suppose it may be one of a pair out feeding. Sea Eagle just drifted over the house an hour ago. Nearly as big as the medivac helicopter yesterday.
Golden Eagles which are native are getting pushed out by the imported Sea Eagle but since they do not carry off sheep and small children are of no interest to RSPB.

Hicky

Guru
Food and drinkwise, they had all they could wish for. There are four feeders and plenty of vegetation for the parents to collect caterpillars from. The problem is the predators. Anyway, it's all over now.
😢

Alex H

Legendary Member
Sorry, no pictures on today's 20 mile tandem loop - here's the list

Rabbit (live) at the side of the road
Red Squirrel, unfortunately squashed :sad:
Hare - ran away when we approached
Fox - with a rabbit in it's mouth, which it dropped in it's rush to get away :ohmy:
Mrs Duck with about 12 young gathered round her, trying to cross the road just before the crossing at Christon Bank.

(which reminded me of this 12 years ago ^_^)

Top Bottom