Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
suppose they may have been weasels then - the limestone pavement would be a good natural imitation of a dry stone wall - lots of stuff in all those cracks I suppose - lots of real dry stone walls in that area as well of course.
Sounds very likely. Here's a photo of a weasel with a mouse it has caught (not my photo). So you can see they are really quite small

1617178048017.png

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I see stoats perhaps three or four times a year, I've never seen a weasel though. The most impressive sighting was as I was cycling along, about 20 yards ahead I saw a magpie on the road looking quizzically into the verge. A stoat then leapt out at it, but the magpie got away. The stoat got to a fair height in its jump.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Saw 7 buzzards circling over my house today. Boy I wish I had their eyesight, there were so far up!

Then went out for an easy ride, I usually stop if I see roadkill and toss it into the hedgerow (seems more respectful). Came across a female pheasant and chucked it into the hedge, but then came across this and I wasn't going to try to move it. I hope it does get moved as otherwise that'll be one stinky route for a long time.

Then, only a little further on, came across this, which I did throw into the hedge. Look at those toenails!

Now I've looked at it again, it looks like a cyclist rode over it, 23mm tyres, Duranos, if I'm not mistaken.

Proto

Legendary Member
Anyone able to identify this bird for me. Bloody thing wouldn’t cooperate and come to my side of the feeder thus the two opportunist photos.

Something ordinary? A juvenile something ordinary?

BTW saw what I believe to be a Goldcrest the other day, a first for me.

Tight Git

Veteran
Anyone able to identify this bird for me. Bloody thing wouldn’t cooperate and come to my side of the feeder thus the two opportunist photos.

Something ordinary? A juvenile something ordinary?

BTW saw what I believe to be a Goldcrest the other day, a first for me.

View attachment 582757

View attachment 582758
Sorry to disappoint you - female chaffinch

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Stripped the Bedlington terrier of its winter coat at the weekend, and stuffed the grey bundle of fluff (the fur, not the dog) into one of those yellow nets lemons are packed in. Hung that out for the birds today and within minutes a pair of goldfinch landed. Spent the whole day back and forth for fur, along with wagtails and long tailed tits. Blue tits have already finished nesting it seems.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Thankyou.

PS can you tell I know nothing about birds? 🙂
To help you a bit on bird ID....

First, it is obviously "small bird" sized
Take a look at its bill. It's sort of triangular, right? This is a typical bill for a bird that eats seeds (insect eaters tend to have more pointy bills). Birds in the finch family (including the goldfinch you saw) all have bills this shape
It's mainly brown but see those white patches on the wing?
It's in your garden eating from a feeder

It's early Spring so it can only be an adult bird

So it's an adult finch, mainly brown with some white patches on the wing. It's in a UK garden.That eliminates everything except female Chaffinch

Top Bottom