Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Quick update as it looks like we have 2 hedgehogs visiting our garden , as in this picture you have bodies left and right .

Also comparing some other shots the markings on what i call the blaze area ie between eyes and down to nose and up to top of face look to have different shapes

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A couple of Egyptian geese spotted this morning at Harrold country park.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Stripped the Bedlington terrier of its winter coat at the weekend, and stuffed the grey bundle of fluff (the fur, not the dog) into one of those yellow nets lemons are packed in. Hung that out for the birds today and within minutes a pair of goldfinch landed. Spent the whole day back and forth for fur, along with wagtails and long tailed tits. Blue tits have already finished nesting it seems.
Great idea, but be careful with the net. Birds have been known to get a leg trapped & die. Hanging food in nets isn't recommended these days.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Stripped the Bedlington terrier of its winter coat at the weekend, and stuffed the grey bundle of fluff (the fur, not the dog) into one of those yellow nets lemons are packed in. Hung that out for the birds today and within minutes a pair of goldfinch landed. Spent the whole day back and forth for fur, along with wagtails and long tailed tits. Blue tits have already finished nesting it seems.
I did similar with some Newfie and Whiplington hair today. It didn’t last five minutes.
21DA3DC8-C58E-4C30-8A3B-FC62C05D11C2.png
1E06EBA1-B91E-44C1-9EA3-E9355F162186.png

I'm learning a heck of a lot about birds while riding to work, to the delight of my dear mum who is a real bird enthusiast.

I frequently see herons: some smaller grey birds and some larger which are predominantly white with a sort of tuft hanging off the back of their head. Are these the same species at different development stages or different species?

They also seem pretty unperturbed by cyclists.

Proto

Legendary Member
Clearing leaves and debris on the bank behind the house in preparation for sowing some woodland grass seed (I live in hope). Disturbed a ball of woven grass nestled into the bottom a hazel, cricket ball sized. Unsure what it was,I picked it up and turned it over. Inside was this lovely little thing, but i don’t know what it is!
I’d estimate it being bigger than a mouse, but not much. It appeared to be sleeping/hibernating but did move a little bit. I covered it up as best I could in the grass ball, then lay it on on a pile of leaves in a narrow gap between some logs, then covered it up with more leaves. Hope it survives. Any idea what I might be?

Top Bottom