Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
saw this guy at the beach today
Fox at Race Point 4-17-21 B.jpg

Fox at Race Point 4-17-21 A.jpg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
We breakfasted out this morning, and shared our table with this tiny creature.

He should move into the city, there's more food for him. He could do with a few jettisoned takeaways!
hehe yeah skinny sucker. must have been a rough winter. this is way out at the tip of Cape Cod in P-town at Race Point Beach

Proto

Legendary Member
Clearing leaves and debris on the bank behind the house in preparation for sowing some woodland grass seed (I live in hope). Disturbed a ball of woven grass nestled into the bottom a hazel, cricket ball sized. Unsure what it was,I picked it up and turned it over. Inside was this lovely little thing, but i don’t know what it is!
I’d estimate it being bigger than a mouse, but not much. It appeared to be sleeping/hibernating but did move a little bit. I covered it up as best I could in the grass ball, then lay it on on a pile of leaves in a narrow gap between some logs, then covered it up with more leaves. Hope it survives. Any idea what I might be?
View attachment 583927

Update: meandered up the garden to the spot where I made the nest for my furry friend and was delighted to see him sitting next to it, sunning himself. He stayed still long enough for me to get a photo but I still don‘t know what it is! I’m assuming it’s a mouse of some sort, wood mouse (?), but I thought mice of all types had hairless tails? And from its previous nest (that I disturbed) I’m again guessing that it was hibernating. Do mice live long enough to hibernate. Anyway, couple of photos.

Last edited:
couple of photos.
what a cutie! nice brown color!

I looked up "brown" mouse: The most obvious difference between the two mice is in coloration. Deer mice, Peromyscus maniculatus, tend to be sort of “deer-colored,” a tawny brown which can tend towards gray, while house mice are mostly gray. Brown mice are good climbers and may be found atop trees or manmade structures.

Top Bottom