Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Mega morning in the hides today
A female Egyptian goose , greater spotted woodpecker, nuthatch, treecreeper , jay never mind the Siskins , greenfinches etc etc .

Proto

Legendary Member
Yesterday afternoon a fox ambles out of the woods at the side of our house, loiters by the side of my shed. The rabbits that have made my lawn mower redundant run for cover, fox continues its stroll down the hill and out of sight.

Greater spotted and green woodpeckers pecking away at the feeder, and then onto the ‘lawn’*.

This morning, two deer casually stroll across the ‘lawn’, onto the drive and out onto the lane where they start eating something.

*lawn - not sure there’s much grass, it’s just moss and other green stuff. You’d never play bowls on it.

Last edited:
Yesterday afternoon a fox ambles out of the woods at the side of our house, loiters by the side of my shed. The rabbits that have made my lawn mower redundant run for cover, fox continues its stroll down the hill and out of sight.

Greater spotted and green woodpeckers pecking away at the feeder, and then onto the ‘lawn’*.

This morning, two deer casually stroll across the ‘lawn’, onto the drive and out onto the lane where they start eating something.

*lawn - not sure there’s much grass, it’s just moss and other green stuff. You’d never play bowls on it.

Bowls would apparently only disturb the residents: they are much more interesting.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Just by our living room door is a compost-filled planter, which is made from an artificial canvas draped over a metal frame. The canvas is severely frayed and almost worn through in places along its top edges, which was a bit of a mystery until we found blue tits perched there, pecking at it to remove beakfuls of nesting material. We hung up a feeder full of wool by it, which seems to have diverted them.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Best ever wildlife moment while on a bike last night...

I've posted about seeing a Short Eared Owl in the hills above Uppermill. Went same route last night and near the top the SEO appeared and flapped across the road right in front of me and then kept pace with me and landed on a post.
Then when I was descending nearby I saw it or its partner crossing the road being mobbed by crows.

Never seen one so close. Next time I'll stop and try to grab a photo

Shack

Does this count? Some big bones next to a field gate and a blocked (unmarked path) 500' from a met office weather radar (or is it lol) 590816

A good few miles from most places 590818

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
A damn great hornet was in our dining room this morning. Luckily a European one rather than the invasive Asian species.
Last time I even saw a hornet was a September evening quite a few years ago, when camping at The Inside Park in Blandford Forum, and hordes of them invaded the tent attracted by the light. I assume they're quite unusual round this area.

Last edited:
Top Bottom