Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

This fella was out and about in my garden this afternoon at about 3 o'clock so I put some water out.
This pic was this evening at about 8.

Proto

Legendary Member
Thrushes recently frequent visitors to the garden, usually a pair. Not sure what sort, song thrush, I guess.

We've had Jays here before, but not often. Such lovely colouring.

Proto

Legendary Member
View attachment 592086

This fella was out and about in my garden this afternoon at about 3 o'clock so I put some water out.
This pic was this evening at about 8.

Surprised that we've not seen hedgehogs here, but a mate tells me that they are preyed on by badgers, and by the evidence of their 'toilets' in the woodland behind the house, we have lots of badgers. Shame if that's the case.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Thrushes recently frequent visitors to the garden, usually a pair. Not sure what sort, song thrush, I guess.

We've had Jays here before, but not often. Such lovely colouring.

View attachment 592101

View attachment 592102
Yep, that's a Song Thrush

The song of the Song Thrush is unmistakeable and you've probably got another week or two to hear it. They repeat a phrase 3-4 times, then move onto a different phrase and repeat that 3-4 time and go through a repertoire of phrases, repeating each one 3-4 times. Late evening, as it's getting quite dark is a good time to listen as most birds are stopping singing but the Song Thrush goes on until practically dark. You can easily hear one from 100m away on a still evening

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Attracted by a flash of bright copper/red, I tracked it down, but it wouldn't show its full colours. Well, it did briefly, but this camera seems to be temperamental when it comes to reasonably close focus in "intelligent auto" mode, so I had to change to "programme AE" mode, which means having to get much closer to the subject. Anyway, enough of my techy (tetchy?) shortcomings, here's an unusual side view of a Cinnabar moth.

Still in "get closer to a flighty insect than should be necessary" mode, here's a female damselfly, tentatively identified as a brown form of Common Blue. Other suggestions welcome!

A couple of phone shots from today's walk, 1st pic of either of these..
You might have to zoom in a bit ^_^

View attachment 592741

View attachment 592742

This thread makes me realise how many astonishing, beautiful things are around us on a "normal" day.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Top Bottom