Your day's wildlife

SydZ

Über Member
Mrs Sydz and I took the bus out early this morning to the start of the Water of Leith walkway and walked along it, in the direction of home, for its full 13 miles.

Just outside Colinton we was a couple in front watching something in the water. As we approached they pointed out an otter out in the middle of the water. As we watched it was joined by a second one before they took off downstream.

biggs682

Smile a mile bike provider
Had a very peaceful hour this afternoon sat in a bird hide on the northern side of Pitsford reservoir watching greater crested grebes and gadwall ducks .

biggs682

A couple of stills from a different area of the back garden last night showing hog activity , i think it's the same hog in each picture

DSCF0041.JPG

DSCF0007.JPG

Rode along the canal from my Dr's appt this morning to my U3A German class.
Rounding a bend, maybe five yards in front of me a large heron took off - it looked as if he'd been fishing from a small area of the banking where there's been a bit of a collapse and so an area of nice shallow wading for him while he spears fish in deeper waters.
No photo, but it really was a magnificent sight as he took off along the length of the canal and then circled round over me at tree-top height.
This was well under a mile from what I would class as 'inner-city' Preston - I don't usually see them until a mile or more further away from the spot I saw this one today. Although someone told me that there's a small heronry in the trees which grow on banking in the space between a railway line and a major road ... less than half a mile away as the crow (or heron!) flies from where I saw today's specimen.

If you are ever in UK, near Berwick-on-tweed, there are often very large groups of swans in the river/estuary there 50+ at times

I have a very strong memory of holidays in Berwick, mostly sitting on a wall and watching class 55 "Deltics" hammer past. They were blue by then with a black surround to the marker lights.

Unfortunately that's not very wildlife related, but I saw a lot of herons in the fields today. It had rained a few minutes and I suspect lots of small eatable thing were surfacing.

Last edited:

biggs682

Sat awaiting the arrival of the hogs , they normally start about 8 45 so must be running late tonight

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have a very strong memory of holidays in Berwick, mostly sitting on a wall and watching class 55 "Deltics" hammer past. They were blue by then with a black surround to the marker lights.

Unfortunately that's not very wildlife related, but I saw a lot of herons in the fields today. It had rained a few minutes and I suspect lots of small eatable thing were surfacing.

Oh yes, there is a very impressive bridge carrying the main east coast railway line to Edinburgh and beyond.

Top Bottom