Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A couple of stills from a different area of the back garden last night showing hog activity , i think it's the same hog in each picture

DSCF0041.JPG

DSCF0007.JPG

Rode along the canal from my Dr's appt this morning to my U3A German class.
Rounding a bend, maybe five yards in front of me a large heron took off - it looked as if he'd been fishing from a small area of the banking where there's been a bit of a collapse and so an area of nice shallow wading for him while he spears fish in deeper waters.
No photo, but it really was a magnificent sight as he took off along the length of the canal and then circled round over me at tree-top height.
This was well under a mile from what I would class as 'inner-city' Preston - I don't usually see them until a mile or more further away from the spot I saw this one today. Although someone told me that there's a small heronry in the trees which grow on banking in the space between a railway line and a major road ... less than half a mile away as the crow (or heron!) flies from where I saw today's specimen.

If you are ever in UK, near Berwick-on-tweed, there are often very large groups of swans in the river/estuary there 50+ at times

I have a very strong memory of holidays in Berwick, mostly sitting on a wall and watching class 55 "Deltics" hammer past. They were blue by then with a black surround to the marker lights.

Unfortunately that's not very wildlife related, but I saw a lot of herons in the fields today. It had rained a few minutes and I suspect lots of small eatable thing were surfacing.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have a very strong memory of holidays in Berwick, mostly sitting on a wall and watching class 55 "Deltics" hammer past. They were blue by then with a black surround to the marker lights.

Unfortunately that's not very wildlife related, but I saw a lot of herons in the fields today. It had rained a few minutes and I suspect lots of small eatable thing were surfacing.

Oh yes, there is a very impressive bridge carrying the main east coast railway line to Edinburgh and beyond.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Hedgehog in the garden early yesterday morning - too late for the calci worms.
First I've seen in years, although there's occasional, er, evidence of their visits.
IMG_0317_MomentH.jpg

So I bought some hedgehog food and put the bowl under a slab supported by two bricks...
IMG_0318_MomentF.jpg

Fox thought it was a trap, and left well alone. Local cat wasn't deterred. Grrrr!
IMG_0319_MomentC.jpg

Nor was woodmouse afraid.

IMG_0323_MomentWM.jpg

Of course, pretty much as expected, badger didn't bother to try and get his/her head under the slab, just dragged the bowl out.
Might have eaten the slugs, you fussy beggar!
IMG_0327_MomentB.jpg

So my task for today is to create a hedgehog-only feeding station.
Hope it comes back, or it'll be a waste of time and materials!

Top Bottom