Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
This morning I saw these on my back lawn. I had seen them a few days ago but didn't have a camera handy. I was surprised to see them again. Lovely noise they make and I love watching them walk about, it's as if they are joined by string, if one moves the others follow.
I went inside and was confronted by a first world problem - no bread to feed them with !! So they had to make do with croissant. They didn't seem to mind.

s30t2g.jpg

And this afternoon saw a weasel whilst I was out.
Apparently you're not supposed to feed them bread
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/16/dont-feed-the-ducks-bread-say-conservationists

Attachments

• s30t2g.jpg
    s30t2g.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 47
  • s30t2g.jpg
    s30t2g.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 36

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
[QUOTE 3679492, member: 9609"]FIRST SWIFTS - earliest I think I have seen them, usually mid may.[/QUOTE]
I spotted one last night. Went out looking for bats - none to be seen, but a single swift wheeling about the sky.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Ok @richp that's interesting and another of life's myths up the swanny, a bit like feeding hedgehogs milk.

Today the ducks reappeared on my neighbour's front lawn, so I got out the frozen peas, defrosted them and went out to try to lay a trail towards my back garden (I have a bit of a pond, what more do they want?) They were uninterested in them! In fact I saw one pick up a pea and spit it out. So now I'm left with having to clear up a load of peas before my neighbour gets home, and it's raining hard. Or perhaps they prefer mushy peas, being northern ducks, eh @Katherine ??

Katherine

Guru
Ok @richp that's interesting and another of life's myths up the swanny, a bit like feeding hedgehogs milk.

Today the ducks reappeared on my neighbour's front lawn, so I got out the frozen peas, defrosted them and went out to try to lay a trail towards my back garden (I have a bit of a pond, what more do they want?) They were uninterested in them! In fact I saw one pick up a pea and spit it out. So now I'm left with having to clear up a load of peas before my neighbour gets home, and it's raining hard. Or perhaps they prefer mushy peas, being northern ducks, eh @Katherine ??

:laugh:

Very unlikely, Blackbirds are aggressively territorial, to the point they will attack other Blackbirds

Sussed it. Put a few handfuls of bird seed out. Ma or pa (family No. 1) feeds the singleton (whose sibling hit the conservatory window and pegged out). Lazy s*d just stands next to parent with beak open awaiting food.

Then ma or pa (family No. 2) supervises the 2 chicks from the other brood whilst they feed themselves from the bird seed.

But you don't see both families together. One lives in the honeysuckle climbing up the hawthorn tree, the other in the privet bush by the kitchen window.

Now, how long before both families have their second brood? Standby, I'll let you know, I can tell you are all hanging on (in quiet desperation...)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We went away on Thursday evening when there were four or five thriving blue tit chicks being tended by their parents, and being fed grubs regularly. It's on the nest box camera that we have been watching the box with since February.
We came back on Monday night and there were no chicks at all. The nest looked a mess. Mrs Tit stayed for one night and then disappeared. The chicks were far too young to fly so I suppose they all died. It's rather sad to see that happen after all their efforts at nest building and parenting but it's entirely natural. Eleven eggs and none of them a survivor.

Mrs M

Guru
We went away on Thursday evening when there were four or five thriving blue tit chicks being tended by their parents, and being fed grubs regularly. It's on the nest box camera that we have been watching the box with since February.
We came back on Monday night and there were no chicks at all. The nest looked a mess. Mrs Tit stayed for one night and then disappeared. The chicks were far too young to fly so I suppose they all died. It's rather sad to see that happen after all their efforts at nest building and parenting but it's entirely natural. Eleven eggs and none of them a survivor.
Aw, sad news.
Poor wee birds :sad:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
That's sad. I have two boxes and the great tits chose to occupy the one without the camera:rolleyes:

Top Bottom