Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
This isn't my picture. It was taken 2 days ago in Hall Green, Birmingham, about 5 miles from the city centre.

View attachment 721229

We frequently get Munjacs in the grounds of our office building - right next to the security fence for Felixstowe container port. It does help that there's a large heathland nature reserve between us & the seafront on the other side and that there's plenty of green corridors for them to make their way along from the countryside a bit inland.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
This fellow was lurking in the plants outside our door. He might be a water monitor. Anyway, I don't entirely like the cut of his jib.

Attachments

• IMG_9886.JPG
    IMG_9886.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 30

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Mr Fox up our street. The cat had been following us a moment previously but had turned back. She's quite wary, and fierce on occasion, so probably OK, and I've previously seen a fox and her eyeing each other up suspiciously from opposite ends of our garden, but still ...

A29AE001-C9FF-41DB-8C49-7D9821B38EBC.jpeg

Last edited:

Hicky

Guru
Our feeding of the songbirds over winter has paid dividends, we have a mixture of blue, great and long tailed tits along with a variety of sparrows of differing sizes. My daughter loves watching them out of our window.

Is it common for blackbirds to hang off suetball feeders for just 5 seconds or so. They are clearly not designed nor comfortable
trying to balance whilst sometimes violently swinging around stabbing like fury at the feast but amusing to observe

I read somewhere - possibly in a link from the RSPB site - that an increasing number of blackbirds are 'learning' how to use bird feeders of various types and venturing into and onto facilities previously unknown to them.

I am encouraging a pair of magpies to hang around, as they see off the grey squirrels, saving me the job. Peanuts and sunflower seeds are given a good shake in chilli powder which seems to put them off a bit and make them quicker to turn and run if a magpie marches up. What the maggies really go for seems to be the cat kibble, and while they're sorting through that, any wandering squirrels who get too close are seen off with obvious threats!

Top Bottom