Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
Yesterday morning, a dipper as I walked to the supermarket.
Yesterday afternoon, 4 red legged partridge hurrying up the road in front of me as I rode uphill.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Saw two buzzards circling, looking for food, neither of them calling.
Then I saw a bird, obviously one of prey which was black on top virtually all over and brown underneath. Smaller than a buzzard. It flew low over a field, with a Vulcan bomber wing shape and landed on a tree and then pounced on something but I didn't see it fly off.

Any ideas what it could be?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Saw two buzzards circling, looking for food, neither of them calling.
Then I saw a bird, obviously one of prey which was black on top virtually all over and brown underneath. Smaller than a buzzard. It flew low over a field, with a Vulcan bomber wing shape and landed on a tree and then pounced on something but I didn't see it fly off.

Any ideas what it could be?

Assuming it is a bird of prey, behaviour and description would suggest kestrel (their upper parts can appear surprisingly dark. Alternative would be peregrine which is considerably rarer, behaviour doesn't really fit very well but have very dark upper parts in certain light. Kestrel is about wood pigeon size, peregrine considerably bigger, but still smaller than a buzzard

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Saw a Stonechat Saturday morning.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
DSC_0236.jpg
Pair of cormorants, taken this morning, from a distance, on my mobile.

Tommy2

Über Member
Yesterday saw a kestrel, a heron, nearly drove over a partridge and followed 2 grouse that popped out of a hedge and flew about 6 feet in front of my bonnet for about 30 metres.
obviously couldn't take any pics as I was driving.

D

Deleted member 23692

Loads of Mallards by the River Eden in Kirkby Stephen
A Buzzard (with 2 crows in attendance) ripping something apart in a field just outside Penrith

Top Bottom