Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
306CE66C-11C7-40DF-86D1-759773FBA469.jpeg

2 “helpers” watching me try to fettle this evening.

View attachment 544439
2 “helpers” watching me try to fettle this evening.
Be honest - you sprayed tasty yummy leftovers smell over the wheels to attract those two. Springwatch wouldn't stoop to such trickery!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
No pics, but yesterday we had a woodpecker checking out our bird feeder, and this morning, a jay turned up.

I've seen the Jay before, but never noticed the woodpecker.

philk56

Guru
We have just spent a few days on Rottnest Island, which is a beautiful small island about 20km off the coast of Perth. The island has had a chequered history, being used as an aboriginal prison for a while, but is now just for any visitor. No cars, meaning it's great for walking, cycling and wildlife. The island is most famous for its Quokkas. These are small marsupials but when the island was first discovered by the Dutch they thought they were some kind of rat, so named the island Rottenest (Rat's nest). When it was realised they weren't rats, the 'e' was dropped from the island's name, making it meaningless when translated.

Here's a quokka mum and joey

Lots of ospreys on the island, at one point we had four of them circling overhead around us - here's one:

and many other birds, such as these banded stilt - over 1,000 on one of the island's salt lakes

Top Bottom