Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A snow goose, I believe, at Slimbridge by the lower Severn this morning. Unlikely to be a genuinely wild migrant, and the same is probably true of the barnacle geese as well. The lapwings are good though!

snorri

Legendary Member
Looking seawards this morning a flotilla of 76 goldeneye ducks were observed on a generaly westerly heading on calm seas.
Looking skywards in the afternoon thousands of geese flying in the opposite direction in a steady rainfall.

Last edited:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Last Sunday in Lidl Netherfield car park, there was a grey squirrel exploring. It dived under a parked car when a crow flew over.
The crow landed and held its head on one side to peer at the squirrel, then another crow joined it.
The squirrel took its chance when both crows looked at each other, and sprinted across the road, with both crows in hot pursuit, reaching safety under the gate of a metal fabricators site. The thwarted crows gave up and flew away.
I've seen and rescued a moorhen which was caught out in the open and attacked by crows, but never before seen them go for a squirrel.
I guess they would have pecked at its eyes to incapacitate it before killing it at their leisure, but I'm really glad that didn't happen (not that I'm particularly fond of squirrels).

Last Sunday in Lidl Netherfield car park, there was a grey squirrel exploring. It dived under a parked car when a crow flew over.
The crow landed and held its head on one side to peer at the squirrel, then another crow joined it.
The squirrel took its chance when both crows looked at each other, and sprinted across the road, with both crows in hot pursuit, reaching safety under the gate of a metal fabricators site. The thwarted crows gave up and flew away.
I've seen and rescued a moorhen which was caught out in the open and attacked by crows, but never before seen them go for a squirrel.
I guess they would have pecked at its eyes to incapacitate it before killing it at their leisure, but I'm really glad that didn't happen (not that I'm particularly fond of squirrels).

Clever birds, corvids.

Top Bottom