your favourite cartoonists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
This sent me googling for Sean Agnew, a name I'd not come across, hence to this, which got me laughing like a drain, despite the lack of any actual cartoons. Eg "Barry the Cat - a one-off parody of The Beano's acrobatic crimefighter Billy the Cat. Unlike his Beano equivalent, Barry is incompetent, hopelessly uncoordinated, and is immediately recognised despite his "cat-suit" disguise. The final panel shows him in hospital, suffering from multiple injuries, being told that he has acted "very foolishly".

The third entry under T on the Viz cartoon wiki entry was a fantastic episode of un-PC cartoon humour.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Flying Monkey. Isn't there a Herge picture of Tintin alone on a stormy sea, in the style of a Japanese picture? Big waves, and the crests quite well drawn? I'm curious.
Thanks.

wakou

Über Member
It's gotta be Paul Sample and his best-loved character, Ogri:

Pic93.jpg

Oh yes. I subscribed to Bike magazine for years, just for Ogri

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist

Thanks to you and Slomo. I read all the Tintin books when I was much younger but I didn't remember that. Quite lovely. Of course, Herge's style and the comic printing process lends itself quite nicely to reproducing the flat colours of Japanese ukiyo-e, which is also essentially cheap print for the masses.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thanks Adrian. That's the one. It's available as a poster too. I saw a copy in a New Age shop near Tofino a few years ago. Crystals and whale music...the usual stuff...and in the rack of posters, there was TinTin.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Raymond Briggs -not strictly a cartoonist

When-The-Wind-Blows-FPI-Blog5.jpg

Top Bottom