your favourite cartoonists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Has no one had Bill Watterson yet?

calvin+and+hobbs2.JPG

:biggrin: Calvin & Hobbes are firm favourites around here and the snowmen bits in particular. The boys did a creepy snowman staring in the window last year, quite effective. Though attempts to replicate some of the more adventurous scenes have been doomed to failure...takes too long, hands get too cold and interest wanes.

nickprior

Veteran
What a great thread! Steve Bell and XCD: +1 Abstruse Goose come close sometimes though:

God_is_one_strange_ol_josser.PNG

and

this_sentence_is_false.PNG

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Sean Agnew? He was one of the earlier Viz stars, and blooming funny, as well as a great draughtsman.

"Bertie Blunt, his parrots a ****" was really good. Here is the wiki snip.....

• Bertie Blunt (His Parrot's A C...) – a boy who owns an extremely violent, foul mouthed parrot that insults everyone and encourages him to commit suicide. When the parrot kills Bertie's grandmother, who leaves them all her money, Bertie fights back by spending his inheritance on a microwave oven which he then uses to cook the parrot alive. Chris Donald, creator of Viz, has said that in the early days of the magazine he would not permit the "c word" to be used, until an outside artist (Sean Agnew) sent him this strip which he found to be so good he decided to use it anyway.

This sent me googling for Sean Agnew, a name I'd not come across, hence to this, which got me laughing like a drain, despite the lack of any actual cartoons. Eg "Barry the Cat - a one-off parody of The Beano's acrobatic crimefighter Billy the Cat. Unlike his Beano equivalent, Barry is incompetent, hopelessly uncoordinated, and is immediately recognised despite his "cat-suit" disguise. The final panel shows him in hospital, suffering from multiple injuries, being told that he has acted "very foolishly".

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Hokusai - he was the Hogarth of Japan, as well as being a great landscape artist.

414px-Hokusai_Manga_02.jpg

Hayao Miyazaki. Best known as an animator but he wrote and drew Nausicaa as manga first. Please do not go here if you want to have some productive life for the next week or so.

nausicaa_12_big.jpg

Moebius (and anything in the heyday of Metal Hurlant)

moebius02_big.jpg

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Has anyone mentioned Gerald Scarfe yet?
View attachment 5005

Anyone remember what this was all about?:smile:

This...

3-10-keeler2.jpg

The Scarfe reference reminds me of another of my faves, Willie Rushton, who was a great cartoonist.

3044251242_4c150dd541.jpg

:biggrin: Calvin & Hobbes are firm favourites around here and the snowmen bits in particular. The boys did a creepy snowman staring in the window last year, quite effective. Though attempts to replicate some of the more adventurous scenes have been doomed to failure...takes too long, hands get too cold and interest wanes.

Courtesy of Cookie Monster.

http://www.chase3000.com/userpages/calvinhobbes/

3d-magical-snowman.gif

Top Bottom