Your first computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
First PC I bought had an overclocked clock-quadrupled 486-dx5-133, running at 160 MHz.
It kept up with a Pentium 90, which was highly important as I wanted to play Phantasmogoria.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
zx80 a whole 1k of memory. My first PC was about 10 years ago from Time computers, £1300 with 125KB RAM & 4MB memory. Just bought a new imac £1150 with 8GB RAM & 1TB memory. The phone I'm typing this on is more powerful than the Time PC.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
hp-85.jpeg
HP-85 in 1980! It had a tiny CRT screen and a bog roll thermal printer, 16K of memory and 32K RAM. It was absolutely bomb-proof. I was working as a research assistant at the time and my boss bought me one. Thousands of hours of fun!

(Look at that guy's wrist calculator....:eek:)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Amstrad PC1512. It was a bit of a shag 'cos you had to use one floppy to get it going, then another to store work on. Then we heard about these things called 'hard drives' that you could get for £250, which meant you didn't need to use floppies anymore. Mustard!

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
DEC PDP-8, 1967.

Well OK, it wasn't actually mine, but we had access to it from school. We programmed it in ALGOL, if I recall correctly.

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last
A Colecovision and an Atari 2600.

U

User33236

My first computer was a ZX81 with a whopping 1k or RAM until I eventually added the 16k RAM pack.

Then moved on to a 16k Spectrum that I upgraded to 32k then a Commodore 64 followed by an Atari 520 STFM that I upgraded to 1 meg purely to play "Monkey Island". That was followed my an Atari 1040 STe that upgraded to 2meg. That got followed by the first IBM compatible PC and the rest is downhill from there lol.

stuee147

my very first pc was something that the son of a women my mum knew had built it had about 1mb of memory and the only way to load a game on it was to spend 3 weeks typing in each line of the program only to find out i had done a letter wrong but not knowing in which of the 20,000,000 lines you just done lol

i then got a commodore 16+4 never knew what the +4 was but i had it and the old cassette player that used to beep and whine at you for half an hour just to load the game ohh them were the days lol

Black Country Ste

We had a second hand Commodore 16 when I was about five years old in the late-Eighties. Our first proper PC was an Olivetti with 8MB memory, a massive 1.2GB hard disk and Pentium 120. I broke it, deleting half the contents of the Windows folder trying to free up RAM to play Championship Manager 97/98.

Trickedem

Guru
C64. I boughtbone of the first ones in the UK in early 83. I think I paid around £300. Which was an enormous amount at the time. I then bought a floppy drive when I was living in Germany. We used to to cut another read/write notch on the other side so you could use both sides. The drive was maybe THREE times faster than the cassette drive. I would think that my broadband must be 50 times faster.

asterix

Comrade Member
Amstrad PC1512. It was a bit of a shag 'cos you had to use one floppy to get it going, then another to store work on. Then we heard about these things called 'hard drives' that you could get for £250, which meant you didn't need to use floppies anymore. Mustard!

In the early 80's we ran an office computer to do our documentation using floppies. What a PITA! Then I went off to do a computer science degree at UMIST and having splashed out on a PC upgraded it to hard drive PDQ. I've got single photographs that occupy more space than my first hard drive allowed!

Top Bottom