Your first computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
My first computer admin job was looking after a room fulll of these.
r82r4829m.jpg

That had about 2Mb memory and the disks were 256Mb (but I might be wrong)

152l2

It was a SORD M5 for me.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
ZX81

I remember buying a magazine that had about ten games, you could spend about an hour typing each one in on the crappy membrane keypad. My favourite was a spaceship flying across the screen in glorious monochrome that you moved up and down to avoid stalactites/stalacmites ......... flappy birds if you will.
the first video game i ever played was on a neighbours ZX81... the player's spaceship was a capital A, the enemy craft were capital Hs (tie-fighters i guess)... all very basic but incredibly exciting.

I think Timegate is my all time favourite spectrum game... the plot: fly through space, shoot the enemy, find the time gates, go back through time to destroy the enemy before they've evolved... now that's genocide!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I guess it would be my programmable scientific calculator when I was a student. You could write some quite complex operations on it, but it was tedious. We had Commodore Pets in the labs, and the big computers were DEC somethingorothers. We still used punch tape from some of the instruments. This was the early 80s.

Oldest computer I've worked on was probably an IBM Series/1 (the serious-one) which dated from the 70s and was a beast of a thing to program. I didn't have a clue what I was doing most of the time. The expert was a bloke called Terry knew everything and smelt of boiled cabbage.

But I never actually owned a computer until comparitively recently. I had enough of them at work.

I had some Epson pc that cost about £800. I hated dot matrix printers so went for the new inkjet printers. To afford this (the printer was £279) I got a mono monitor.

I cannot quite remember when this was then connected to the internet. But we did not have www or emails at the outset. What did we use them for?

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Bulitin Boards !

Octet

Veteran
Nothing as old as what some of you have posted, however it would have been a Gateway computer (I unfortunately don't remember the exact model) and it was running Windows 98.

I do remember Floppy Disks and Dial Up Modems though!

Top Bottom