Your first computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
1 ZX Spectrum 48k, circa 1985.

2 goto 1 ^_^

800px-ZXSpectrum48k.jpg

Yes. Me too. And it had the best spreadsheet, in the form of VuCalc that I've ever used. Sadly it took about 12 minutes to load via tape deck and a large sheet could take several minutes to update after changing a value in a cell. But as a Mathematician it was very good.

ZX80 and a cassette recorder to record the programs I had written!

martint235

Dog on a bike
16kb Spectrum which I eventually upgraded ot 48kb. When I was up at my dad's in Feb I found my old programming notebook that I used to write Basic and Assembly programs in. The Spectrum itself is in the attic at my dad's but I don't think it works anymore. I'd also fitted a new Spectrum + style keyboard to it.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It was 1988 when I first got my hands on a PC. I worked at quite a big company and until then, we all had to write stuff on standard forms which would be taken away by some minion to "The Punch Room". There a dozen or so young lovelies had the job of typing in the stuff I had written on forms for loading up onto the mainframe. This mammoth box was in an air conditioned room that mere mortals weren't allowed to enter. The following morning a printout was delivered to you with the results of your previous day's entries and the process began again.

But then I was poached by the "Costing Department". These were go ahead guys. When I first went there, they had two IBM PCs !! These were kept on a separate desk from the staff. They were covered in dust sheets that you had to remove every morning. And we had a log of usage where you had to write down how long you used a PC for and for what purpose.

Many happy memories learning Louts 123 macro programming language, and dBASE 3 too

Sony MSX .....link
MSX was sort of a forerunner to the pc (Microsoft in there somewhere) afaik as it was a group japanese companies that were supposedly working to the same specs. unloke every other manufacturer producing their own machines and standards at the time.

Cheddar George

oober member
ZX81

I remember buying a magazine that had about ten games, you could spend about an hour typing each one in on the crappy membrane keypad. My favourite was a spaceship flying across the screen in glorious monochrome that you moved up and down to avoid stalactites/stalacmites ......... flappy birds if you will.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
ZX81

I remember buying a magazine that had about ten games, you could spend about an hour typing each one in on the crappy membrane keypad. My favourite was a spaceship flying across the screen in glorious monochrome that you moved up and down to avoid stalactites/stalacmites ......... flappy birds if you will.
Ha, ha....yes I remember the games. Took you hours of typing then, if you had made the slightest mistake anywhere, it didn't work. Lol.

Cheddar George

oober member
Ah the games .......

Horace goes skiing
Manic Miner
Frogger

Did anybody ever see "Micro men", the comedy drama about Clive Sinclair and the Spectrum/BBC micro rivalry. Clive didn't think there was a future in computer games.

tyred

Legendary Member
My first proper PC was an IBM 486 PS/2 with an 500M hard disk, 50MHz CPU, Windows 3.1, 12MB Ram (I upgraded to 16 at some point), 13" CRT monitor and wait for it.......DRUM ROLL.......

2 floppy disk drives (3.5" and 5.25"):wahhey:

I never actually owned a 5.25" disk.:sad:
I still have a working hard disk with Win 3.1 installed on it.

Archeress

Veteran
In the early 80's we ran an office computer to do our documentation using floppies. What a PITA! Then I went off to do a computer science degree at UMIST and having splashed out on a PC upgraded it to hard drive PDQ. I've got single photographs that occupy more space than my first hard drive allowed!

Fellow UMIST graduate here too. I was one of those strange creatures doing Paper Science. Lived in St Anselms Hall during my time in Manchester.

Hugs
Archeress x

Top Bottom