Your first games console

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
View attachment 481344
This isn't the thread you're looking for.
So sorry - didn't realise it was a restricted thread. :notworthy:

steverob

Guru
Another person whose first experience was probably that game that you plugged into the TV that said you could play tennis, football, basketball, etc. but basically they were all just slight variations of Pong. But I was very young then and can barely remember it.

My first real experience with a computer would have been a Commodore 64 - best game on that was Epyx's Summer Games II (still a great game now, even though it came out in 1985!). Kept that until the mid-nineties, but at the same time went down the console route by getting first a Sega Master System, then a PC Engine (a Japanese console that never offically came out in Europe, was sometimes also known as a TurboGrafx), then a Sega Megadrive.

The C64 was then replaced by an Amiga 1200 (the first machine I bought myself rather than being a gift from my parents), before I eventually bought a PC in the early 2000s. My Dad (who was a keen gamer and quite happy to indulge my pastime as he got as much out of it as I did!) had bought himself a Sega Saturn AND a Sony Playstation by this time, so I did get a fair amount of play on those up until the point where I moved into my own place.

Since then, haven't owned a console of my own, just replaced / upgraded my PC numerous times. Basically at any point where my PC is up to spec, then I'd be playing the latest games on that, but when it wasn't (which was most of the time to be honest), I'd just replay old games my system could still cope with until I'd saved up enough to upgrade again!

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Anyway, back on track, Daley Thompson's Decathlon was another favourite on the Speccy. Hammering the z and x keys when running the 100m, looking like I was having a stroke or seizure. Happy days!
03b80fb6967a3ae193e0e803795d74ee.jpg

Bianchi boy

Über Member
Not really retro, but when i got my playstation 1 accompanied by the first Tombraider, sat up till about 3 am playing it and totally mesmerized by the graphics :hyper:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Neither have I.

I used to run my PS1 through a video monitor that was found in a skip, then when that died, it went into my PC monitor via a video capture device, but the delay made many games not so much unplayable but unwinable. After the digital switch-over, I bought an old analogue flatscreen telly off ebay for £20 and that's what i drag out when I fancy playing a game. Technically i do have a telly but i can't watch telly on it.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Anyway, back on track, Daley Thompson's Decathlon was another favourite on the Speccy. Hammering the z and x keys when running the 100m, looking like I was having a stroke or seizure. Happy days!
View attachment 481346
Oh that game!.... did you have the old rubber spectrum keyboard? There was a trick of putting your index finger between the Z & X keys and just waggling it really quickly... gold medal every time on the running races. It did kinda take the challenge out of it.

Last edited:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
One of these!
540x360.jpg
My uncle worked for Visionhire at the time and they were giving these away with their tellies. An old couple didn't want it and told him to give it to his kids instead - as he didn't have any old enough at that time, he gave it to us instead. Many, many hours were wasted playing tennis, squash and 'football' on it. It's still in a cupboard at my folks' house, but the last time we fished it out 8 years ago there was no sign of the powerpack.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I guess we are including computers? First computer was Zx spectrum though I remember my dad buying a zx81 and spending hours playing mazoggs. He also spent hours typing in code from magazines and watching it crash. He Bought a PC later on which I was addicted to and led to my first career.

First console my family had was a binatone like this one

7d256895ca8d3d0c8c329be8dbfd4fb1.jpg

I looked at friends atari in envy.

My own first console was a megadrive though the love of my gaming life was the SNES where I spent hours playing Zelda and mario karts. At one point I treated myself to a raspberry machine and it has a familiar appearance.

289D4F05-0DC9-445E-BD58-008E8F0FC77C.jpeg

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
First computer was some Atari thing bought second hand which none of us could work. Then it was an Amstrad CPC464+ and that did us for years as kids.
First console was a Sega MegaDrive ll.
I've not touched my PS4 in weeks. It seems I've finally become old and boring.

Top Bottom