Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
29 miles for me, possibly my longest ride this year :whistle:
Its all gone, all my previous fitness, any kind of hill had me puffing, but, i enjoyed it,a steady pace, lovely sunny weather and countryside. Circa 14 mph average.
Id say roll on 2014, 2013 has been a disaster health wise, i just got to try like hell to get some regular mileage in over the winter...my nemesis .
Still, good ride, good busy day.

Cycled, walked, car, then cycled
I did 40 miles today, the first 30 miles were by bike from Wallsend to Wylam via Ponteland, but then my chain snapped and one of the pins was bent and I did not have a chain link remover. So, the only option was to walk; it was about 10 miles to Newcastle. After about 5 miles of walking a cyclist passed me and asked if I needed any help. I told him my story, showed him the chain and told him I was heading to Newcastle to get it fixed. He told me he lived nearby and offered me a lift in his estate car to Start Cycles (all cyclists seem to stick together and help out the best they can:bravo:). Start Cycles fixed my bike with no charge and I cycled 5 miles back home

Peteaud

Veteran
This morning Mrs Aud was still in bed when i went out the door for a quick spin before we went out for the day. Autumn sunshine at its best and although a bit chilly to start with the 1st small climb soon warmed me up.

large.jpg

Early morning October sunshine - what a treat.

large.jpg

large.jpg

The road were quite with very little traffic (i wish lt stayed that way) and i headed along the old road unused since the 1980's with just a few sections in the villages still used by local traffic

large.jpg

large.jpg

Old main road - now unused.

large.jpg

The village of Donyatt

large.jpg

The old Chard to Taunton railway line - closed in 1963 :cry:

large.jpg

good (mostly) for bike tho :smile:

Got back home and after a quick shower, coffee and change we headed off to the seaside :hyper:

Born2die

Nice 40 miler today nuneaton out through bosworth to measham the back through twycross and other small villages to home http://www.strava.com/activities/87297736 . As I was going one way there must have been a sportif on going the other as we seemed to pass each other 3 times. this is my longest ever ride now by 4 miles my back still isnt agreeing with me but since I raised the bars its now not too bad.

stopped for a coffee here

Bosworth1.jpg

Bosworth Water Park cyclists special £2.50 coffee and cake catch upwith other cyclists and have a good natter at mile 30

boswort2.jpg

sign3.jpg

saw some lovely bikes whilst there didn't want to get going again neither did my legs then a quick 10 mile blast home again running into the sportif pack.

then went to pick mini me up took our bikes on the ride home had a senior moment forgot I was clipped in and fell off the pavement into the road much to the amusement of a passing car driver (now need to get some nail varnish in blue).

Attachments

• boswort2.jpg
    boswort2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
B***er!

How did that happen!

Weather was looking good this morning, so I thought I'd go out for a 15 mile pootle round Richmond Park. Part way round I was feeling good and the sun was shining. So, out of Ham Gate it had to be, Kingston and back sounded good. At Kingston, Hampton Court sounded better.

At Hampton Court, the idea of a pootle along the river to Walton on Thames struck a chord. Well, Weybridge is not much further. At Weybridge, Chertsey and Staines beckoned.

The sign in Staines to Datchet and Eton proved irresistible, as did the sign in Windsor for the Great Park.

A slightly more direct route back via Egham, Staines, Shepperton and Bushey Park before completing the circuit of Richmond Park.

That's how a 15 mile pootle morphed into a 75 mile day ride!

Now, if I had set out on the Van Nic rather then the Tricross, it might have turned into a Century!

B***er!
Pity you didnt call in at Staines

gavgav

Guru
Managed to get out today for the 1st time in a month, due to having the flu and other plans. @Rickshaw Phil joined me at my house and we headed out on one of my usual routes, but with a couple of variations on the norm.

It was a lovely warm sunny afternoon (is it really October?!!) :sun:but there was a gusty wind that proved to be a stubborn headwind at times. We headed out from Shrewsbury to Upton Magna and then climbed Haughmond Hill and took a right hander down the lovely mile and a half of straight downhill (cruising at 23 mph) into Somerwood and Rodington Heath. We then turned left down into Rodington and continued on some new lanes for me, over to Longdon on Tern. We then had a short section on the main High Ercall to Admaston Road, long enough for one prat to give us a close pass, where he achieved absolutely nothing, as he had to stop about 50 yds down the road at a single track bridge, where we proceeded to turn right!!

We then headed down the lanes to Isombridge and up to Walcot, with a slight detour to see the swans on the River Tern at this bridge

@Rickshaw Phil enjoying the view
IMG_0346.JPG

We then headed back along Route 81 towards Upton Magna, with a number of very courteous drivers actually stopping in passing places to let us through!! :smile:

We continued into Uffington and we decided to stop for Beer at The Corbet Arms, due to it being so nice, and sat outside on the Beer Terrace. A pint and a half of Shropshire Gold was enjoyed muchly :cheers:and we were treated to a serenade of Jingle Bells by an excitable small child........(this is after hearing my neighbour playing Mariah Carey Christmas Songs this morning!!!!!!!!!!!! :gun:).

IMG_0347.JPG
IMG_0349.JPG

We then wobbled back along the old canal into Shrewsbury, passing a stubborn dog that was having none of it when its owner tried to usher it out of our path :laugh:.

21.43 miles at an avg of 11.2mph

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Nice 40 miler today nuneaton out through bosworth to measham the back through twycross and other small villages to home http://www.strava.com/activities/87297736 . As I was going one way there must have been a sportif on going the other as we seemed to pass each other 3 times. this is my longest ever ride now by 4 miles my back still isnt agreeing with me but since I raised the bars its now not too bad.

).
Stopped there 2 weeks ago with mercia fast group, nice place for a cuppa !

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I was hoping to get out on a longer ride today but home & family stuff got in the way a bit. Never mind eh!! Eventually I was released for good behaviour!
My route took me down towards Billing Mill where I stopped to have a chat for 20 mins with one of Her Majesties finest Constabulary patrolling on her bike. Not sure if they were police issue, but she was eating Jelly Babies, which was my opening conversation. What a lovely lady! There should be more like her :smile:

However, I digress.. I was in search of an decent ice cream, but the best I could find nearby was a Magnum from Billing Garden Centre café, which I took down to the riverbank to eat.

DSC_0862.jpg

Back home on about 10 miles with a 7th overall Strava up through Great Billing village climb. Quite happy with that for a lazy Sunday ride :smile:

http://www.strava.com/activities/87295302

D

Deleted member 1258

View attachment 30397

Bosworth Water Park cyclists special £2.50 coffee and cake catch upwith other cyclists and have a good natter at mile 30

View attachment 30398

View attachment 30400

saw some lovely bikes whilst there didn't want to get going again neither did my legs then a quick 10 mile blast home again running into the sportif pack.

then went to pick mini me up took our bikes on the ride home had a senior moment forgot I was clipped in and fell off the pavement into the road much to the amusement of a passing car driver (now need to get some nail varnish in blue).

I haven't been there for ages, lovely place, I'll have to have a ride out there again, I usually use Whitemores Antiques at Shenton when I'm out that way, the club often use the Bosworth Battle field cafe or Shackerstone station, The Battle Field Railway Line, when they're out that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom