Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Born2die

Nice 40 miler today nuneaton out through bosworth to measham the back through twycross and other small villages to home. As I was going one way there must have been a sportif on going the other as we seemed to pass each other 3 times. this is my longest ever ride now by 4 miles my back still isnt agreeing with me but since I raised the bars its now not too bad.

stopped for a coffee here

View attachment 30397

Bosworth Water Park cyclists special £2.50 coffee and cake catch upwith other cyclists and have a good natter at mile 30

View attachment 30398

View attachment 30400

saw some lovely bikes whilst there didn't want to get going again neither did my legs then a quick 10 mile blast home again running into the sportif pack.

then went to pick mini me up took our bikes on the ride home had a senior moment forgot I was clipped in and fell off the pavement into the road much to the amusement of a passing car driver (now need to get some nail varnish in blue).
I haven't been there for ages, lovely place, I'll have to have a ride out there again, I usually use Whitemores Antiques at Shenton when I'm out that way, the club often use the Bosworth Battle field cafe or Shackerstone station, The Battle Field Railway Line when they're out that way.
thanks will look them up I forgot I was heading past it was a nice suprise

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Heres the strava stats
3 KOM
9 PBs
1, 5 th place
http://www.strava.com/activities/87371202

crazyjoe101

So I normally ride for transportation or with my LBS's club and although I push my speeds and consider myself to be fairly fit in terms of cycling, today was a whole new world.

My Dad's entered us for a duathlon which is in about 3 weeks time in which he will run and I will cycle and as such we need to do a bit of training. He went out for a 3.7mi run and I challenged myself to do 3 laps of his route. I went as fast as I could the whole way round but it was more frustrating than usual because the traffic and red lights; it was quite hard to concentrate while staying safe. Then again I enjoyed the freedom of carrying very little and flying down roads I normally cruise down. By the way, he just about beat me.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Further to @gavgav's report, I rode over to his place early this afternoon and we did a pleasant loop out to the east of Shrewsbury in the :sun:.

There were plenty of other cyclists of all abilities out which was nice. I'm glad they're still making the most of the nice weather. We did get overtaken on the climb up Haughmond Hill, but I felt less bad about it when I saw it was an electric bike. (Incidentally, I thought you had to pedal for the electric assist to work?:unsure:

The descent into Rodington was fun (as long as you mind the lumps and potholes) before we headed towards Longdon on Tern where we had the close pass Gav mentioned. Shortly after we turned off the main road we passed an original Willy's Jeep out for a bit of a spin.

We were now heading back into the wind so progress was a little less swift than it had been on the way out. No matter though, it was meant to be a leisure ride. As we headed along this road I noticed an odd engine noise, which turned out to be from a large scale model aircraft being put through its aerobatic paces.

For the rest of the trip back it was notable how polite all the motorists were being, which certainly made up for the pass earlier.:thumbsup:

After a nice pub stop (Shropshire Gold) :cheers: we rode back in the direction of Gav's, before I headed home via a slightly more scenic way than I did on the way out, along the riverside and through the Abbey Foregate and Belle Vue areas of town.

Total mileage for me was 32.4 miles at an average of 11.7 mph.

DSC02076.JPG

Drink stop at Upton Magna on the way out.

DSC02077.JPG

The very substantial looking weir on the not substantial River Tern at Walcot.

DSC02079.JPG

Looking across the fields to the village of Withington.

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Made the big mistake of watching the Norwich match on telly at lunchtime. Went down 3-1 at home to Chelski :cry: . Worse still, I'd missed some perfect cycling weather. So it was gone 3-30 by the time I headed out, in 70 degree temps, light winds and blues skies- it felt more like June. Stopped off at Anglesey Abbey (National Trust place nearby) to buy a card for Mrs G who starts a new job tommorrow. The place was absolutely heaving- though I was pleased to see the bike racks full, among the throngs of Volvos and 4WDs.

Then I headed west along some much quieter lanes and paths on and around the Lodes Way. Did a 13 mile circuit. I was really pleased to see this last reminder of summer near Swaffham Prior, sat on a wire, contemplating his 6000 or so mile journey that lies ahead.
Last swallow.jpg

Most swallows left here weeks ago, so I hope this straggler hasn't left it too late. He looked in fine shape though, and with the heat, there's still plenty of insects on the wing to fill him up. I love the thought that this time next week he could be over Morocco, en route to the Transvaal or similar. Lucky sod!

Then it was a straightforward ride to Reach Lode Bridge (below, behind the cow). You get some great views from that bridge- it's the highest point for miles.

download.jpg

A curious incident occured on the bridge. A bloke who had clearly seen me approach, suddenly walked right into my path and I very nearly hit him. Very odd. The bloke was with a woman and they both had bikes with them so I would have thought they would know better. I thought no more of it until I saw them cycle down the other side to an ugly 4WD that I had just passed which was spoiling the views, into which they deposited their bikes and roared off. That explained it- amatuers!

Then I headed home - I'd managed 13 miles and close to two hours without thinking about the Norwich result- yet another enormous benefit of cycling!

Last edited:

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
2nd week out with the club and just as last week it was very enjoyable. It also helped me take my weekly total to just shy of 300 miles. Too warm in a softshell though but it didn't spoil the ride. Even though it was quite a local spin it amazed me how many of the roads i didn't know !

109.4miles in 7h28m26s (14.6mph) 3269ft of climbing. A bit of a mish mash and I'll probably do a better one, but it's a ton on the board of the Century a Month Challenge for October.
It started with a slow jaunt and recce of today's hill climbs (Peterborough-Stamford-Ketton-Collyweston) arm warmers,leg warmer,gilet required;
Then the Collyweston climb after a warm up; (Shorts and short sleeves :sun:)
Transfer to the start of the Ketton climb;
The Ketton Climb;
A ride for coffee and cake with Fenland Clarion and lots of Cake :hungry: (Ketton-Collyweston-Easton on the Hill-Burghley House-Stamford-Peterborough)
I then went on a wee bit of an explore for 56miles (Peterborough-Stilton-Old A1 to Alconbury-Alconbury Weston and back to Peterborough via Elton).
There's another 1.8miles to my flat but I'm cynical about a track that leads to my door ;)

Edit: Can't add any proper pics but here's some stolen from google.

http://goo.gl/maps/F2pCN

http://goo.gl/maps/IoCBb

http://goo.gl/maps/jl4sn

Last edited:
It would be nice to brag about the 100 mile plus ride this weekend, unfortunately it was er well not quite that, ok so it was only about 4 miles, but, and it's a big but it involved several ascents of Monsal Head in the Peaks. This was on the Saturday, we had done this climb a couple of times before but never in anger and today dr_pink was racing the hill climb so Saturday involved a comprehensive recce. What gear to use? Which wheels? Which rear sprocket? Pace it or go flat out and hope the crowd lift you over the line? All these questions and many more.
After staying overnight in Chesterfield we arrived 3 hours early to get a good parking spot, just as well because by 10.30 it looked as though every man and his dog had turned up to watch, what an event!
Looking down from Monsal Head towards the start
2013MonsalHead005_zps03ab1acb.jpg

dr_pink warming up
2013MonsalHead002_zpse5e471cc.jpg

And coming in to finish, giving everything
2013MonsalHead004_zps677d6832.jpg

Just a few folks wandered along to watch
Copyof2013MonsalHead003_zpscbebfbc4.jpg

Mow Cop next week, Cragg Vale the week after then the National Champs, it's a hard life....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom